Trippy Dark Downtempo recs - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 29-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #41
androdion
Microknight
androdion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
Re: Trippy Dark Downtempo recs

So, more feedback in line:

I've listened to Tatran on your request Orchidaceae, and it's definitely good. Reminds me a bit of a crazier Mahavishnu Orchestra album mixed with some early prog rock. A few sections even remind me of Gordian Knot, a band that pays a great deal of homage to the 70s. Sadly though I was never that keen on that kind of sound, although I enjoy some crossover of jazz fusion with more modern styles. Cynic would be an example of it, and Gordian Knot too which is a side-project of them, but it's not quite my usual thing. I can recognize enough quality in that project though, and I've even redirected that BC link to a friend who will certainly enjoy it.

What I've really enjoyed was that Miktek album! Solid stuff with lovely groovey beats and very good use of ambiance. Definitely up there in the short list for keepers from this thread. I need to start preparing my Paypal account for the shopping spree that is to come, he he.

I've listened to two or three songs from Vataff Project, but in all honesty I wasn't paying it enough attention. It sounded maybe a bit too psychedelic for me, but like I said I'll need to give it a proper listening session to be sure of it. I'll get back to you on that one.

Advertisements

androdion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #42
InDefianceOfGravity
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
InDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 18460

The first Trifonic album, 'Emergence':

'Automne Fold' album from Kangding Ray (though all his stuff is great in one way or another):

InDefianceOfGravity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #43
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65297996

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdion View Post
I've listened to Tatran on your request Orchidaceae, and it's definitely good. Reminds me a bit of a crazier Mahavishnu Orchestra album mixed with some early prog rock. A few sections even remind me of Gordian Knot, a band that pays a great deal of homage to the 70s. Sadly though I was never that keen on that kind of sound, although I enjoy some crossover of jazz fusion with more modern styles. Cynic would be an example of it, and Gordian Knot too which is a side-project of them, but it's not quite my usual thing. I can recognize enough quality in that project though, and I've even redirected that BC link to a friend who will certainly enjoy it.
Yeah, there are definitely some jazz echoes from the past in their music, and a bit of progressive as well; I can see what you mean about the resemblance to Gordian Knot in certain parts. I actually have a copy of Gordian Knot's first album, which I do enjoy every now and then...

Don't know how much you are into jazz, but there's also a nice jazz thread here with many excellent recommendations, from page 13 and on you'll find a lot of great jazz from recent years. A lot of gems were released this year as well of course, so those last few pages are packed with hot tips [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Quote:
What I've really enjoyed was that Miktek album! Solid stuff with lovely groovey beats and very good use of ambiance. Definitely up there in the short list for keepers from this thread. I need to start preparing my Paypal account for the shopping spree that is to come, he he.
Yep it's a nice one for sure, not much diversity in it though. A safe album I would say. There are much stronger albums in the Ultimae catalog in my opinion, I believe you'll soon think so yourself but it's worth a purchase, no doubt.

Quote:
I've listened to two or three songs from Vataff Project, but in all honesty I wasn't paying it enough attention. It sounded maybe a bit too psychedelic for me, but like I said I'll need to give it a proper listening session to be sure of it. I'll get back to you on that one.
Yes, very psychedelic indeed. And indeed rewards attentive listening. It's a grower for sure. It was released in 2008, and back then, even after years of listening to a lot of psychedelic stuff, I just couldn't quite get into it. In 2010, I have played the CD again with no expectations, and quickly fell in love It's a special one!

Try the Dark Room Beats comp and Krusseldorf album as well. Both released by Aleph Zero, the label the Vataff Project album is on: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also, as long as we are speaking about psychedelic stuff, I have to ask, you heard of Shpongle, right?
If not, I highly recommend that you'll check out the first two albums!

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 29-12-2014 at 03:27 AM..
Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #44
androdion
Microknight
androdion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to all

Thanks UCoB!

Not much into pure jazz, but I do enjoy a bit of jazz fusion thrown in the mix every now and then. Love Gordian Knot's both albums, although the sophomore is more of a "love or hate" kind of album. If you're into that kind of instrumental prog/jazz stuff give Exivious or Continuo Renacer a shot too, great stuff!

I get what you mean by Elsewhere being a safe album, even though my experience with this kind of music is rather limited. Still, good stuff. And yes I've known about Shpongle and I've given plenty of attention to the first three albums, although it doesn't quite click. Can't put my finger on why exactly, since I can appreciate lots of segments in most songs, but there's just something that kind of ticks me off. Same with Boards Of Canada really, one of the most revered IDM projects I've investigated prior to registering here. It just doesn't resonate with me, to use your own words.
Old 29-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #45
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

Yeah, not a big fan of BoC either. I do enjoy a couple of their albums though.

By the way, I've tried that Angelic Process album -- can't say anything bad about it, just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Regarding Shpongle: the first two albums were brilliant in my opinion, and the remixes album that came after was pretty good too. After that the magic disappeared. The first two are just timeless, particularly the first one. After all those years its spell has not faded away.

I assume you've heard of Ozric Tentacles, right? My favorite band for many years...
If you haven't heard of them before, I suggest you'll check them out.

Just sit back and relax

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 29-12-2014 at 03:41 PM..
Old 29-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #46
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
Had it, and very recently sold it. It contains some good music, "Parks on Fire" was the track I enjoyed most

Old 29-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #47
androdion
Microknight

Yeah, Shpongle Falls for instance is a great song. There's just something in that project that doesn't let me enjoy it completely...

Ozric Tentacles I'm only familiar with by name. I'll take a peek.
Old 29-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #48
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:

Ozric Tentacles I'm only familiar with by name. I'll take a peek.
Start with 'Erpland' then

Also, I wonder what you'll think about this one: from Shigeto's 'No Better Time Than Now'.

Anyway, I think I flooded you with recommendations, so now I'll just leave you to explore...

Old 29-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #49
androdion
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
Anyway, I think I flooded you with recommendations, so now I'll just leave you to explore...
Oh yeah, you can say that again!

I'll keep listening and dropping by some feedback when I can. Another festivity is coming...
Old 31-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #50
androdion
Microknight

Quick post just to dissipate some doubts.

I was listening to the debut Tangent album, 1mk2, and it's noisy as hell isn't it? It does have a few moments that can be heard on Transience as well, but it comes out mostly as being quite different doesn't it? Noisy and droning, more like Lustmord or The Haxan Cloack or something...

Likewise, is James Murray doing nothing like Where Edges Meet nowadays?! I was going through his other albums and it sounds more like something I could find on Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven! than on his debut. Is all his other work like this?
Old 31-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #51
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Likewise, is James Murray doing nothing like Where Edges Meet nowadays?! I was going through his other albums and it sounds more like something I could find on Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven! than on his debut. Is all his other work like this?
Yes, James Murray's 'Where Edges Meet' is an anomaly in his discography. The only releases on which you'll find somewhat similar stuff by him are several V/A compilations. For example: '[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
' -- a wonderful one compiled by Nova for Ultimae, don't think you'll manage to get the CD though, and '[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
', also pretty good.

You can still get the James Murray CD here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The only thing somewhat similar to 'Where Edges Meet' is I Awake's 'The Core'-- idiosyncratic stuff. Highly recommended. Bear in mind though, it's a grower. CD still available from Ultimae:

Old 31-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #52
androdion
Microknight

Yeah, thought so as well. I've skimmed through Floods, The Land Bridge and Mount View and it doesn't really sound anywhere similar, except if you account for the typical melodic approach he uses here and there. And mate thank you so very much for that e-shop link!!! I mean, I was checking out the CD on Discogs and prices aren't very pleasant to begin with. That e-shop seems to be rather huge though, I'll have to explore it.

Now if only I could find out how it is that I can "thank" a post in this board...

Still not sure on the Tangent debut. I quite like the sophomore because of the atmosphere it has and integration of beats and melodic ambiance, but the debut seems to be harsher and noisier than I can bear with.
Old 31-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #53
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Yeah, thought so as well. I've skimmed through Floods, The Land Bridge and Mount View and it doesn't really sound anywhere similar, except if you account for the typical melodic approach he uses here and there. And mate thank you so very much for that e-shop link!!! I mean, I was checking out the CD on Discogs and prices aren't very pleasant to begin with. That e-shop seems to be rather huge though, I'll have to explore it.
No problem, my pleasure

Psyshop's focus is mainly on all forms of trance, but as you can see they also offer a nice selection of ambient, downtempo electronica, psybient etc. --- [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Quote:
Now if only I could find out how it is that I can "thank" a post in this board...
On the bottom of each post, on the right (your right that is).

Quote:
but the debut seems to be harsher and noisier than I can bear with.
I feel that way about most Tympanik Audio releases. But, as you have already found out, the Zinovia album is pretty nice, and there are a few others worth cheking out.

My favorites from Tympanik Audio:

Start with track 2 and 3 -- "Stadium" and "Mimikry" -- lovely stuff... but the entire album is good. I think you'll dig it.

And this one is quite good too. A bit heavier though... but not abrasive. Very busy album, with a great nocturnal, dark spacey vibe...

Old 31-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #54
androdion
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
On the bottom of each post, on the right (your right that is).
Hmm... There's only a button to quote and quick reply. Maybe it has something to do with my post count or ranking here in the boards. Anyway...

James Murray's CD is on the way.
Old 31-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #55
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Hmm... There's only a button to quote and quick reply. Maybe it has something to do with my post count or ranking here in the boards.
Yes, perhaps.

Quote:
Anyway... James Murray's CD is on the way.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #56
androdion
Microknight

OK, did a bit more of listening and here it is:

Rumpistol did nothing for me. Sorry if that comes out as being slightly blunt though, but Mere Rum is very far away from my comfort zone. Not really my thing.

I gave Hol Baumann's Human a couple of spins and I don't seem to get into it all that much. I kind of like the Teardrop vibe with the ethnic singing and influence on the songs, but it kind of gets to be a bit too much. The structure of the songs seems to be a bit verse-chorus oriented and with some French hip-hop influences, which I'm not very fond of. I'm still up for another spin, but honestly speaking I think I'll pass this one.

Other than that I've heard L36 by SE, although I was maybe too tired to properly evaluate it. It's still borderline take it or leave it, but it has a cool atmosphere and the dynamics are nice. Probably a bit samey though, but I'll give it more chances. I've been trying out Pollen and Perimeters a bit more lately, but the more I listen to Aes Dana the more I get convinced that it's just too fast for what I'm after right now. Maybe it'll sound better when I'm in the mood for something more rhythmically intense, so I'll keep those two around for now.

I was just finishing listening to Dream Tempest by 36, and yes it's interesting in terms of melody. Very soothing ambient with an almost music box vibe and a very positive atmosphere. Pure ambient isn't really my thing though. It's nice but lacks a bit of the involvement that I like the music to have.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #57
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Maybe it's time you head over to Aleph Zero: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

^Recommended albums:

Krusseldorf - From Soil to Space
Various Artists - Dark Room Beats
Shulman - Endless Rhythms of the Beatless Heart
Vataff Project - Kalitz
Hibernation - Some Things Never Change

Also these (but they are really not what you are looking for I think):

Fredrik Ohr - Falling through the Earth
Eitan Reiter - Places I Miss That I Haven't Been To
Bluetech - Sines and Singularities
CUTS - Hold the Sun

P.S.
you should really also try the I Awake album slightly above here. And well, just keep going through all the recommendations in this thread -- I'm sure you'll click with some more music here
Old 02-01-2015, 03:07 AM   #58
androdion
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae
Maybe it's time you head over to Aleph Zero
Yeah, I've been bouncing back between Ultimae and Tympanik, but I'll get there eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae
Krusseldorf - From Soil to Space
Various Artists - Dark Room Beats
Shulman - Endless Rhythms of the Beatless Heart
Vataff Project - Kalitz
Hibernation - Some Things Never Change

Also these (but they are really not what you are looking for I think):

Fredrik Ohr - Falling through the Earth
Eitan Reiter - Places I Miss That I Haven't Been To
Bluetech - Sines and Singularities
CUTS - Hold the Sun
Those two highlighted are news to me, but the rest of them were already on my shortlist. I'll check the remaining four as well out of curiosity (and respect for you). I tried taking on The Core today but didn't get to spend much time with it. Maybe tomorrow.

Still have a ton of stuff to check out, I'll keep listening and reporting back here.
Thanks to androdion
Orchidaceae (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:26 AM   #59
InDefianceOfGravity
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
InDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MCInDefianceOfGravity is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 18460

50% off all Tympanik CDs the entire month of January. Use code 'tympanik15' during checkout.
InDefianceOfGravity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #60
Jonah_Mann
Microknight
Jonah_Mann is a jewel in the roughJonah_Mann is a jewel in the roughJonah_Mann is a jewel in the roughJonah_Mann is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Burial?

Advertisements

------------------
Jonah_Mann is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote