Any Vangelis fans on here? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 16-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #41
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 44860
Re: Any Vangelis fans on here?

Been stuck on L'Apocalypse Des Animaux lately. Early work, and maybe my favorite. So delicate and subdued.

Advertisements

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (16-07-2018)
Old 16-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #42
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217060
Thanked 4,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Been stuck on L'Apocalypse Des Animaux lately. Early work, and maybe my favorite. So delicate and subdued.

@ [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Yeah..have to agree with you on that..love it and it always..to my mind anyway..seems to compliment his later "The City" album very well..great music to listen to any time, but I find it great for listening late at night, when the house is still.

I've been listening to his work now for the last 3 weeks solid..nothing much else. Basically been alternating between El Greco, Invisible Connections, Direct and Antartica as a means of inspiring my creative juices for the up-coming QAWM here on IDMf, that kicks off next month. I'm going to have a go at doing album of music close to his classic big analog sound, but a little more drone-like. Hopefully all goes well and it will be worth listening to.

@ [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Invisible Connections is great.. a real classic if you can get into it, that is. The funny thing is "that sound" most folks take as being tyical of Vangelis isn't what he really wanted to do as an artist. I once heard him say in a rare interview that the music business, and success in particular, while great and very much appreciated, has a way of forcing the artist to produce what the industry wants and not what the artist wants to really create.

I'm guessing by his words Invisible Connections is actually much nearer the mark when it comes to what he, himself, wanted to do on a more regular basis..and it's a shame he never got the chance to explore that sound in more detail.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #43
ltoc
Minor Glitch
ltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
The funny thing is "that sound" most folks take as being tyical of Vangelis isn't what he really wanted to do as an artist. I once heard him say in a rare interview that the music business, and success in particular, while great and very much appreciated, has a way of forcing the artist to produce what the industry wants and not what the artist wants to really create.

I'm guessing by his words Invisible Connections is actually much nearer the mark when it comes to what he, himself, wanted to do on a more regular basis..and it's a shame he never got the chance to explore that sound in more detail.
I didn't know that. Style on that record is much different then his classics, although I really dig "1492: Conquest of Paradise".

Damir,
Lost Tribes of Cheekowara
ltoc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #44
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoc View Post
I didn't know that. Style on that record is much different then his classics, although I really dig "1492: Conquest of Paradise".

Damir,

Yeah..and another little fact that came out in that same interview is that he considers music his job..but painting is his real passion. He's a very accomplished painter, but he refused to share any of his pieces publicly for a long time. He said his music is for everyone, but his paintings where his own..they were too personal and close to his heart.

But in 2003 he seems to have changed his mind, as 70 of his works were put on public display in EL Almudin, Valencia, Spain.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
ltoc (22-07-2018)
Old 22-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #45
ltoc
Minor Glitch
ltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..and another little fact that came out in that same interview is that he considers music his job..but painting is his real passion. He's a very accomplished painter, but he refused to share any of his pieces publicly for a long time. He said his music is for everyone, but his paintings where his own..they were too personal and close to his heart.

But in 2003 he seems to have changed his mind, as 70 of his works were put on public display in EL Almudin, Valencia, Spain.
Wow, needless to say I didn't knew that either. He is really good painter, by my humble opinion, first painting is really good.

Damir,
ltoc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #46
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoc View Post
Wow, needless to say I didn't knew that either. He is really good painter, by my humble opinion, first painting is really good.

Damir,
Yeah..I'm not too fond of the second one I posted, but I do like the others, though.

Advertisements

------------------