Any Vangelis fans on here? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
tjernbergmusic
Regular Freak
tjernbergmusic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Any Vangelis fans on here?

All respect to the great Vangelis! Love his works!

Advertisements

------------------
/Daniel & Mikael Tjernberg
tjernbergmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #22
Opus Science
Soundwave Mangler
Opus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond repute
Brighton
MC Status: 3360

Love the Bladerunner soundtrack, but that's all I've got of his. I really should spend more time with his music.

------------------
Opus Science is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #23
chiptraxxx
Soundwave Mangler
chiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to beholdchiptraxxx is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

Yes he has made some masterpieces :-D must listen again soon. + a bunch of similar stuff. :-B

------------------
chiptraxxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #24
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217060
Thanked 4,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

By way of a shameless plug..and related to the very first post in this thread..if you like Vangelis, then check out my new album, "War & Peace", over on BandCamp. I think you won't be disappointed. (Click on the banner in my sig below.)

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #25
Reubino
Minor Glitch
Reubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to behold
Melbourne
MC Status: 710

So good to see there's still some very passionate Vangelis fans out on the web. Vangelis for me is one of those musicians who gave me a purpose to compose electronic music. The Blade Runner Soundtrack is still my favourite film score of all time. What I also love about him is that he's is so incredibly humble when people praise his music. The recent documentary about his music and his life 'Journey to Ithaka' is a must watch if you haven't already seen it.
Reubino is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Reubino
A.M (23-12-2014)
Old 30-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #26
Ambient Epicuro
Regular Freak
Ambient Epicuro will become famous soon enoughAmbient Epicuro will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

A fanatic here I'd rather say.

One thing I always have to remind to people when I hear the Alpha on someones ringtone is that, it's not originally from the (great) TV-show called Madventures, but the product of one the biggest living musicians they should know about. He is way too unknown on my empirical experience when it comes to random people. They do know his work when they hear it, but not the name. Which is simply wrong, imo.
Ambient Epicuro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ambient Epicuro
A.M (30-12-2014)
Old 30-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #27
VIVIsect
Soundwave Mangler
VIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud of
Novi Sad
MC Status: 1215

Not Vangelis, but this guy nailed it pretty much

VIVIsect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to VIVIsect
A.M (31-12-2014)
Old 22-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #28
lowlif3
Analog Lurker
lowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud oflowlif3 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1020

Yes! Vangelis is one of my biggest childhood heroes.
lowlif3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837898

Hmm, I think I have vinyl copies of his more experimental works, notably beaubourg. Not really my thing at all.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #30
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
Hmm, I think I have vinyl copies of his more experimental works, notably beaubourg. Not really my thing at all.

Don't judge his work on Beaubourg alone..that has to be his most un-Vagelis-like album ever! Check out the likes of Antarctica, Direct, Voices, Oceanic or El Greco for a better impression of his work.

------------------
Old 30-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #31
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch
Ṣalim will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

To be frank, I never really sat down and listened to his material; no idea why.

I do have a friend IRL that likes him a lot. So far* that he wanted me to buy a CD for him last Xmas. Sucks for him 'cause at that time, I decided not to celebrate it anymore.

*I say that 'cause he just pirates stuff.
Ṣalim is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Do Make Say Think
Old 30-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #32
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ṣalim View Post
To be frank, I never really sat down and listened to his material; no idea why.

I do have a friend IRL that likes him a lot. So far* that he wanted me to buy a CD for him last Xmas. Sucks for him 'cause at that time, I decided not to celebrate it anymore.

*I say that 'cause he just pirates stuff.
To be honest, he's not for everyone these days..or so it seems. I guess you really have to be into this sort of music to really appreciate it.

------------------
Old 31-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #33
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
To be honest, he's not for everyone these days..or so it seems. I guess you really have to be into this sort of music to really appreciate it.
Well, I do like ambient, but I'm not sure where to start out with him. Which album d'you suggest?
Old 31-03-2015, 03:33 AM   #34
A.M

Quote:
Well, I do like ambient, but I'm not sure where to start out with him. Which album d'you suggest?
The term "Ambient" covers a load of sub-genres and styles of music. Can you give me an example of what you consider ambient music..or, basically, what you listen to that you call ambient? I ask so I can get an idea of what you're into ambiently speaking..and then point you in the direction of something that would be more to your liking.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
aethervagrant (21-07-2018)
Old 04-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #35
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I tend to listen to BVDub the most. Drone-esque and Romantic.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #36
A.M

Quote:
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I tend to listen to BVDub the most. Drone-esque and Romantic.
OK..in that case I suggest you check out the following albums of his..

Oceanic

China

Voices

The City

1492: Conquest Of Paradise

El Greco

Direct

Antarctica

Blade Runner Soundtrack

Invisible Connections (NOTE: This is a rare experimental albumm he did back in 1985. While it's not as experimental as his earlier "Beaubourg" album in 1979, it's still not to everyone's taste. I personally like it lot and managed to get my hands on the CD after looking for it for ages.)

Beaubourg

Spiral

There are many others, but I think the selection above it a good cross-section of his work and will give you an idea of which period in his musical career to focus on, depending on what. ( if any ) of the above you find you like.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Old 28-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #37
Vibe Origin
Microknight
Vibe Origin is a jewel in the roughVibe Origin is a jewel in the roughVibe Origin is a jewel in the roughVibe Origin is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Vangelis is one of my childhood memories. My father used to listen a lot to him. That is where my adventure with great electronic music began. Good times.
Vibe Origin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vibe Origin
A.M (28-04-2017)
Old 27-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #38
xxi
Minor Glitch
xxi has a spectacular aura aboutxxi has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

you should listen to mythodia if you haven't
xxi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to xxi
A.M (27-04-2018)
Old 27-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #39
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxi View Post
you should listen to mythodia if you haven't

Thanks for the tip..already have..it's a classic, in more ways than one.

------------------
Old 16-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #40
ltoc
Minor Glitch
ltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud ofltoc has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1210

"Invisible Connections" is a great album, it sounds really fresh today.

Damir,
Lost Tribes of Cheekowara

Advertisements

ltoc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ltoc
A.M (16-07-2018)