Triggering emotions is the key to making great music - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 21-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #61
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260
Re: Triggering emotions is the key to making great music

anger can do it, when you have a dream and people shit on it, i think it gets to me the most!

Advertisements

------------------
Check out my NEWEST Track!!

Facebook | Twitter | SoundCloud | Instagram
Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #62
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8549330
Thanked 7,168 Times in 5,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I'm thinking about Jenny, right now.

Thanks relic.
I had a "girlfriend" named Jenny in middle school. We did party lines (HA!) with our friends on the phone. She now teaches economics at one of the schools I teach at. She still remembers me

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
RFJ (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #63
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6904659
Thanked 3,509 Times in 2,125 Posts

FFS, music is not all about feels.

You can argue that all you like. But until you can say that you've played music to thousands of people in all kinds of places you don't really have much insight into what they want. A lot of the guys who have already commented can say that. They've DJ'ed, played live, worked with bands, run record labels, written and released music. They have a solid understanding of this topic and have given you some valuable insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
Would u agree with this statement?
No

Quote:
Its all about making an emotional response in the listener.
Music is not about giving people their feels. It's about connecting with people. That doesn't always require a deeper meaning. Usually it's the opposite.

Quote:
The greater the level of emotion u can create the better the response to the track will be.
Incorrect.

If it's 3am in the morning and I've just double dropped, the last thing I want to do is get emotional. Fuck, imagine that. 3.35, 3.40, right in the middle of a tearing drum track, the DJ does a stop start (aka the Gentleman's mix) and drops some mad keyboard solo with some deep as spoken word shit that's really thought provoking, and then the strings kick in and Jaded's fucking gurning off his face in tears.

Nobody wants to see that.

Quote:
not neccesarily...If the music is rubbish it is unlikely to evoke much emotional response to that listener.
Emotions are personal dude and you're making the assumption that everybody can distinguish between good music and rubbish. when (judging by some people's taste in music around these parts) not everyone can.

It's more likely that someone will attach emotions to rubbish than brilliance anyway because, a lot of the times, those things are situational. I have a stronger emotional connection to the Beatles than the Rolling Stones because my mum listened to them, despite their equal value. Similarly, there's rubbish songs that were on the radio when my bro died when I hear one of them, I get emotional.

Quote:
I guess thats true...but what i really mean is to you personally songs you enjoy you do so becuase of the emotional response it caused in you..right?
Emotional connections to music have nothing to do with enjoyment. Enjoyment isn't an emotion, it's a state.

When I hear Apparat "Goodbye" I have to leave the room if there are people there because I know I will end up on the floor, a sobbing mess because it takes me back to that place after leaving my family the night after the funeral, going home and hopping into bed and playing that song and crying.

That's not enjoyable for me.

And you're right, people who can achieve that level of depth in their music are masters of their craft. But that's not for you. You're too young to tap into that level of emotional experience yet. It comes with time. Before you focus on deeper philosophical questions like emotional responses to music, try actually writing something that would actually make somebody else want to move their arms and legs first. Then do it again. Then do it again. And again. Keep doing it until you learn something.

The type of music you're trying to make is basic. House, techno, whatever people are calling dance music these days. It's body music. Simple. It's not deep, it makes no diagnosis on the state of the world. It provides people an escape from all of the bullshit feels.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
JayMSay (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #64
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

nice post mate

actually thats so true about a simple connection with song is best..

If you are say sitting in barbers getting your haircut or in the doctors reception u dont wanna hear some full on blown deep musical orchestra..but something with a nice simple beat and maybe lyrics that relate to your life

eg..''OHH getting ready for the weekend!''Oh gonna party at the weekend!''

etc so true..

This makes it easier to make popular music i guess

Last edited by JayMSay; 21-05-2014 at 03:30 PM..

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #65
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
As for other people i dont know i just make music and i want other people to listen and tell me what they think..I cant say why.
Well if you want people to listen to you, it's time to start listening to them.

Quote:
lol...I guess everyone wants to hear there music is good but ultimately that doesnt change anything at all...and thoughts on music are subjective
No they don't. I don't need anybody to tell me if my music is good, the guy in the red shirt already told him. And that shit ain't subjective. Seriously, are you going to tell the guy in the red shirt that he is wrong?

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Can someone please put a meme on it for this thread?
Old 21-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #66
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744033641
Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,546 Posts

Triggering panic attacks is the key to making great music.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #67
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

That or gunfire.

------------------
Old 21-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #68
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
nice post mate
I tell you my brother died and you say, "Nice post mate." Are you for real?
Thanks to Jaded
RFJ (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #69
lolirl
Administrator

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Old 21-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #70
Jaded
Total mad cunt

^ That's how I roll!
Thanks to Jaded
lolirl (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #71
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8549330
Thanked 7,168 Times in 5,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Triggering panic attacks is the key to making great music.
I am sure this is the goal of every Skrillex song.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #72
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I tell you my brother died and you say, "Nice post mate." Are you for real?
huh?

------------------
Old 21-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #73
lolirl
Administrator

I think he's implying that your reply to his deeply personal and heartfelt post was laughably below par.

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
Jaded (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #74
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644318
Thanked 4,901 Times in 3,161 Posts

Only made worse by going back and editing in more content after it was pointed out then playing dumb.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: GDP- "Someday When Things Are Good"
Thanks to RFJ
Jaded (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #75
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
huh?
You replied "Nice post mate" to a post where I talked about the emotional connection I have to certain pieces of music from the time when my brother died. And then you edited it to say some shit about going to a barber shop. How can you possibly hope to make emotional connections with your music when you don't even have the emotional intelligence to show some sensitivity or respect using words?
Old 21-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #76
lolirl
Administrator

DayM esÚ.

------------------
Old 21-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #77
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Starts a thread about people's feels and then doesn't consider their feels.

[edit]
Jayms, it's not like I'm upset about. I'm Jaded.

You have to understand that "Nice post mate" was a really disrespectful reply to something that somebody put thought into and made an effort to share it. You said yourself that you seek validation for your work. You get that by respecting people. You get that from listening and taking things on board.

It was a nice post, you're right. I'm just saying, be more considered and nuanced in your interactions with people.

Last edited by Jaded; 21-05-2014 at 04:07 PM..
Thanks to Jaded
JayMSay (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #78
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

This forum never changes
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rewir3d
Kvlt O))) (21-05-2014)
Old 21-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #79
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
You replied "Nice post mate" to a post where I talked about the emotional connection I have to certain pieces of music from the time when my brother died. And then you edited it to say some shit about going to a barber shop. How can you possibly hope to make emotional connections with your music when you don't even have the emotional intelligence to show some sensitivity or respect using words?
Well you are not being fair here.. I was commenting in context to the way your broke down the aspects that people relate to music. Yeh sure it wasnt an in depth reply my bad for that...i think i said to much already though so keeping things short and sweet

I wasnt commenting on the fact your brother died.

i can also see why i would annoy you on your end that comment after all

------------------
Old 21-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #80
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Well you are not being fair here.. I was commenting in context to the way your broke down the aspects that people relate to music. Yeh sure it wasnt an in depth reply my bad for that...i think i said to much already though so keeping things short and sweet
I'm not being unfair at all. That post covered a whole spectrum of emotions and feelings from the highs to the lows. If you just want to keep it short and sweet, the thanks button is enough.

Quote:
I wasnt commenting on the fact your brother died.
I'm not implying that you were directly commenting on that. I'm saying that it is part of the whole. If you had taken the time to personally reply to me and provided me with such a personal disclosure, I would make more of an effort to consider how I reply. Most people would.

Quote:
i can also see why i would annoy you on your end that comment after all
I'm not annoyed at you. I'm trying to demonstrate a point that's already been made by a few people. Really, the most valuable part of my OP is the first part, about the experience of the other users on the forum. I admire your enthusiasm and I think you're an alright guy who is eager to learn. It's just a matter of learning to slow down and take things on board.

And if you want to just write whatever comes to mind, check out the off topic thread.

Last edited by Jaded; 21-05-2014 at 04:37 PM..

Advertisements