Triggering emotions is the key to making great music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
Triggering emotions is the key to making great music

Would u agree with this statement?

Its all about making an emotional response in the listener.

The greater the level of emotion u can create the better the response to the track will be.

Advertisements

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421886079
Thanked 5,162 Times in 2,987 Posts
Re: Triggering emotions is the key to making great music

No, I don't agree. The truth is that all music creates emotion, regardless of whether or not it's good. Everybody will have some sort of emotional reaction to every song they hear.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Benwaa

/thread
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
No, I don't agree. The truth is that all music creates emotion, regardless of whether or not it's good. Everybody will have some sort of emotional reaction to every song they hear.
not neccesarily...If the music is rubbish it is unlikely to evoke much emotional response to that listener.

The stronger the emotional response to a song the more you will remember it. I wouldnt say enjoy it though as I recall some depressing songs really well but as they are depressing i dont like them to much.

All im saying is the ability to create intense emotion in your music is a very good skill and if you can do it you must be a great musician.

------------------
Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Benwaa

What constitutes great music?

Some will say Justin bieber, others will say Benjamin Britten, others will say cheeky girls whilst others will say vlantis

It's all subjective, what you find depressing others may find refreshing and energising and vice versa
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421886079
Thanked 5,162 Times in 2,987 Posts

Well, if the song is rubbish, I will think it's rubbish and that in itself will be an emotional reaction.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
What constitutes great music?

Some will say Justin bieber, others will say Benjamin Britten, others will say cheeky girls whilst others will say vlantis

It's all subjective, what you find depressing others may find refreshing and energising and vice versa
I guess thats true...but what i really mean is to you personally songs you enjoy you do so becuase of the emotional response it caused in you..right?

OR was it just a catchy melody lol

------------------
Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Well, if the song is rubbish, I will think it's rubbish and that in itself will be an emotional reaction.
lol

------------------
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Benwaa

Actually jaym I've noticed your posting recently concerns others reactions to you and how you could change your approach so it's more accepted by others.
The more you worry about that the more of a struggle it will all be and the more you will stifle your own creativity.

Letting go of that attachment will actually give you much more in return than holding on to how others perceive and receive you

Just make music and enjoy doing so for yourself, the rest will follow

Last edited by Benwaa; 12-05-2014 at 03:49 PM..
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Actually jaym I've noticed your posting recently concerns others reactions to you and how you vs change your approach so it's more accepted by others.
The more you worry about that the more of a struggle it will all be and the more you will stifle your own creativity.

Letting go of that attachment will actually give you much more in return than holding on to his others perceive and receive you

Well i dont agree with your comment.

Me personally i always make the sounds i like to hear as they come to me...As for making a song structure i tend to look at others for ideas.

As for other people i dont know i just make music and i want other people to listen and tell me what they think..I cant say why. I just want to know lol...I guess everyone wants to hear there music is good but ultimately that doesnt change anything at all...and thoughts on music are subjective

Advice on production and the mixing is always helpful and non subjective as well.

------------------
Old 12-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

Some music nearly inspired hatred in me, (the really really bad stuff, which unsuprisingly, I hate). That's not a good emotion, not a fun emotion, and the music that gives that to me sucks more than anything else.

I'd rather have music that stimulates my imagination while it soothes me.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Actually jaym I've noticed your posting recently concerns others reactions to you and how you vs change your approach so it's more accepted by others.

Letting go of that attachment will actually give you much more in return than holding on to his others perceive and receive you

I agree with this because the problem is that whatever you make, some people will not like it so if you're trying to please everyone you risk pleasing noone, especially not yourself... If you just make music you like and care less about what others think chances are good that others will enjoy it too

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
This is what I wanted to post
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cypherclerk
Vlantis (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post

....i just make music and i want other people to listen and tell me what they think..I cant say why. I just want to know lol...I guess everyone wants to hear there music is good but ultimately that doesnt change anything at all...and thoughts on music are subjective
That right there is exactly what I was on about. Stop giving a shit what others think, I'll tell you rather boldly why you want to know others opinions, cos you feel like all of us have/do that you need validation in what you do.
Truth is seeking that validation just detracts from your full potential.
That's what I was on about
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
That right there is exactly what I was on about. Stop giving a shit what others think, I'll tell you rather boldly why you want to know others opinions, cos you feel like all of us have/do that you need validation in what you do.
Truth is seeking that validation just detracts from your full potential.
That's what I was on about
I wouldnt say its 'validation' though

As i said before if you spent a lot of time to create some music you just want people to listen to it...BUt then what if 200 people listened to it and u got 0 comments. Then what u still feel empty.

I think for every song I make i wish 50 people from the public would listen to it and give thoughts...

BUT why? I dont know,,,haha its hard to say...but it would like that...off course music is made to be hears so its natural..Imagine a drama production team that worked for hours on a play and then only performed the drama alone in the studio to noone..its pointless lol

As for on topic.

EMOTIONAL RESPONSES THAT=GOOD MUSIC

UPLFITING ENERGY
DEPRESSING SAD FEEL
HAPPY FEEL
RELAXING FEEL

there are 100s of emotions but only some make good music no point saying angry is good cause obviously thats not a good emotion to trigger from a song IMO

What im trying to say is imagine you want to go to gym so u find your pump up songs...THese songs mustve been created very well if they can give u energy to work out..so they are good songs.

IF u want to try relax in your bed u put on some bob marley..So he has done well at triggering that relaxing emotion etc..

Thats what im on about.

------------------
Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199653318
Thanked 5,081 Times in 3,257 Posts

Seems to me you already have your mind made up so why make the thread?

I made a record heavy on emotion. It was received well. I think, however, there are other key factors that went into that besides the feelings I tried to evoke in the tracks. Things like people I knew, promo strategy, timing, etc etc etc...

There's no one key to "good music." Good music is the result of any number of factors that are going to be unique to each artist. The first key to good music though, as stated in your other discussion, is good music. So I'd suggest you stop worrying about the secret and get back to work.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Muse-ic (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
Benwaa

I'm knot disagreeing with you on it feels shit not to be getting plays or whatever. Every Monday I do a radio show online and get nowhere near the listener levels I'd like. But ultimately it's cos I want validation that what I'm doing is worth it. That's what validation in this instance is. The need for others to pay attention so you feel what you do is for something.
I'm saying try to drop that and do it for you alone, the rest WILL follow
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
professurreal (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #18
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Speaking as a musician there are some pieces that I play that inspire more emotion in me. And I think that has a lot to do with how I relate to the piece and feel it on the inside.

I think if you tell a story or share a journey with your music that will make your music click more with others. If you feel something passionately while creating your music I think it will come through in your music.

I don't think there is a perfect formula/key for making music other than your intent of why you are making it. If you are making it to make money that will be apparent. If you make it because it comes from your heart you will be true to your creation process, and you will make something unique and new.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Nyul (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt

yeh in that sense i get you. Cause somewhat as i said it feels a bit empty to make music noone hears.

BUt actually i made music for years when 17-19 and recorded 100s of song on the PC. or song ideas..But it was all guitar/indie type stuff..and I didnt care noone heard it. I didnt upload anything at all.

I just done it for fun.

And I will always do it for fun regardless if noone ever listens lol.

------------------
Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #20
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
I'm knot disagreeing with you on it feels shit not to be getting plays or whatever. Every Monday I do a radio show online and get nowhere near the midterm levels I'd like. But ultimately it's cos I want validation that what I'm doing is worth it. That's what validation in this instance is. The need for others to pay attention so you feel what you do is for something.
I'm saying try to drop that and do it for you alone, the rest WILL follow
Yeah ultimately everyone wants people to like what they do. Anyone saying otherwise is fooling themselves.

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote