Does listening to other people music, hurt your ability of making music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 30-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
WillyZi
Digital Surfer
WillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MC
Chicago,
MC Status: 4460777
Does listening to other people music, hurt your ability of making music?

I'm an ipod addict but I've realised since my headphones broke I can somehow put together more complicated melodies, I get more indepth with each track. I get better at when I'm not listening to music on my Zune or Ipod with my own music.

I huess it deals with making music from the heart, Example.
Lets say you are a dubstep producer and you listen to Skrillex. You would go home and when you begin to make a dubstep track you immediately start comparing your dub track with Skrillex subconsciously, does that make sense to you folks?

So I'm deciding to say fuck it! I'm going to drop my Iphone music fetish.
Is this something only I face?

Or is this all in my head?

Last edited by deadmau7; 10-02-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Listen @ Soundcloud
Follow @ Twitter
[Why X NoT] **Emotional Experimental**
WillyZi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to WillyZi
Nystagmus (21-08-2015)
Old 30-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8583930
Thanked 7,860 Times in 5,530 Posts
Re: Does listening to other people music, hurt your ability of making music?

All I can add is that electronic music accounts only for about 10-15% of music I listen to, unless you count hip-hop.

I think being too immersed in the music you are trying to make can be a trap for some people. I've only recently been able to make decent DnB/Jungle tunes...I haven't really listened to that stuff for years now. But that must just be me, because their are obviously DJ-producers who probably listen to their genre six days of the week.

I think part of it for some people is trying too hard--they get trapped in genre conventions instead of just making music. Then they listen to that genre all day. Everything they do ends up being generic.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
FatPucker
Savage Mad Cunt
FatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MCFatPucker is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18707383

You know for being a musician, I really don't listen to music all that often. On the way to work, I listen to talk radio because I like to stay on top of headlines/culture and at work I'm usually just checking my tracks from the previous night's session. When I do listen to other's music its usually classics that I've had in my library for years - Rush, Tool, my very favorite trance and house tracks.

Anyway, getting to the point I don't think you're alone. I know what a good song is - dynamic, emotive, balanced, melodies/harmony - it all needs to be there for me regardless if I'm inspired/influenced by other's music or not.

------------------
FatPucker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
D_Davis
IDMf Artist
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

No, not specifically. But not letting your brain have breaks from media stimulation can.

Take out the ear buds for a few hours every day, and just think and listen to your surroundings. Constant media bombardment will negatively impact creativity, because your brain never has a chance to rest.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948381
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,646 Posts

Pretty much agree with all the guys above, I'll add that it kind of depends on what you're going for and how much you retain from what you listen to, and possibly how much you listen to a certain kind of music rather than just generally listening to a random playlist or something. I can relate in a way to this in terms of my guitar playing, but not so much in my other endeavors such as ambient electronic music. With guitar I sometimes feel like I can get into the genre rut, but then guitar is not quite as versatile an instrument as a given synth or set of vsti's ime.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
johanneslehmann
Granular Poster
johanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nicejohanneslehmann is just really nice
Melbourne
MC Status: 410

I have wondered the same thing for quite some time now! I listen to music at work most of the time and then usually on the way there/back, at home...you get the idea.

But when I was away from music for a while I tended to come up with a lot more ideas than when I sit down after a long day of listing to music! Sadly in my case the word addiction really applies and I find it pretty hard to cut back, I even tried and failed once.... Hopefully this thread will inspire me to succeed!

Great to hear other people are having the same issue!
johanneslehmann is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
swaddo84
Microknight
swaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Only problem I ever had was immediately trying to make something similar to what I had been listening to that day.

Usually what I listen to on the whole will influence me as time goes on and I embrace that with the warmest arms, but on occasion I have known to be side-tracked by some stuff that turns out irrelvant in the long run.

I think now I've been producing for the best part of a decade I have a stronger constitution of personal style so I can listen to music everyday and not be too swayed by it.

In terms of writing melodies and harmonies etc... Well I have good days and bad days. I'm pretty picky about melody too and therefore its the part of a track I rewrite the most.

It doesn't stop there though. I seem to write a different kind of melody in different situations. Sometimes I let some chords play out and hear notes in my head. This is very different to a melody I would write with a guitar in my arms, or tapping away on my controller.

Guitar was my first instrument, so naturally when I pick it up I have a style of playing that was close to my influences at the time which unfortunately was metal and progressive rock of the cheesier hairier variety. Just running them same old scales. It's a shame because I'm fairly proficent, but I only ever used guitar for one riff in one track.
swaddo84 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
AndyMcG
Soundwave Mangler
AndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of lightAndyMcG is a glorious beacon of light
Fife
MC Status: 460

I think for me, it has its pros and cons ... I first got into music production by listening to other peoples individual sounds and elements, like drums, loops, melodys, etc and then how it all worked together, and it made me think to myself "i want to be able to do that" ... So i set off to learn and here i am just under a year later.

However, i see the trap people fall into, as i fall into it sometimes myself .... I will have something i think is sounding pretty good, then leave it for the time being, go out in the car or to a club or whatever, hear other music and think "Wait, my stuff sucks compared to this" .... I think its more a mental thing, and you just have to learn to deal with it ... If other people like your music, then your doing something right

------------------
New Track Below ! | On FB - Www.Facebook.Com/AndyMcGMusic | Online Www.AndyMcGOfficial.Com
AndyMcG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Lalangan
IDMf's latest spammer
Lalangan is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I totally get this. I'll listen to music and I'll almost always think that the music I come up with isn't good enough.
Lalangan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Ni-Kulo
Soundscaper
Ni-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

depends,... if i try to make my own genre (which i mostly do^^)
while working i only listen to my own stuff or almost nothing but the project im working on.

if youre trying to just make a party feelgood tune it cant hurt to listen to some examples to show you how its done^^.

as usual no wrongs nor rights i guess :_D

------------------
~ Ni-Kulo Club Steiner ~

-) ~ the CHAMPA WOODS are back ~ 15.10.13
Ni-Kulo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
The Kell
Granular Poster
The Kell will become famous soon enoughThe Kell will become famous soon enough
Southern California
MC Status: 110

I'm with you, Lalangan, especially if i'm in the middle of creating something. I just try to keep in mind that these other songs are professionally mastered and mixed. Mine aren't.

What I do get out of listening to pro's music is listening for subtle things that I can use in my own music.
The Kell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Optimal Prime
Deep Underground
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 7460

I can understand the idea of comparing your music to others and getting overly picky, but on the whole, listening to music for me helps me forward think better if I'm listening to the genre I like to produce in. It's always helpful to listen for me in addition to switching genres as I can subconsciously come up with better ideas which are quite often based on things I have heard previously. It's quite interesting because sometimes I have that moment where I suddenly realise where I have been inspired from the melody I have wrote without realising, however it has usually undergone some severe chinese whisper effect and become its own thing.

Over the last year, I have been working with triplets and swinging/shifted notes a lot more than I used to, to a point where I need something like that in a track to keep it kinda funky. It's come from influence. Also I was quite new to Dubstep and DnB, but have really been focusing on it quite hard over the last 12 months and better understand it and its sub categories and variations.

On the other hand though, sometimes I feel like theres so much going on, it's hard to think where to go. This can come from hearing too much stuff.

------------------
Optimal Prime & Mavamatics - Hypnosis feat. Mc Longman [Seismic Theory]

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Goolue
Master of the LFO
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060

I work at a boring factory job so I listen to music for several hours a day. I think that ever since I started doing that my production has gotten way better, and having this much time to listen to music, I find myself listening to stuff I haven't listened to for years or ever. And also to many different genres. This way I get A LOT of very cool ideas and perspectives. Bottom line is - Whenever I lack inspiration, I'll listen to some well produced music and get back to producing.

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i always felt if Thom Yorke was a food item he would be a noodle
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Bruto Bello
Regular Freak
Bruto Bello will become famous soon enoughBruto Bello will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

When I read this it reminds me of a friend who wouldn't listen to other people's music because he thought it would "corrupt" his artistic expression. A bunch of whoey. Listen to other people's stuff, but don't compare. You are you, they are them. You can go down the rabbit hole with this and nothing productive can come of it. "Why is he/she more popular?" Happiness with your productions comes from within. I'm sure any artist that you like has asked the same questions about "Why aren't my songs as good as artist x?" The difference is that they went on to make thier music without letting doubt overtake them.
Bruto Bello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Other people's music and searching for more
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
leftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant future
Reykjavik
MC Status: 1662

I don't think the OP meant he was comparing his stuff to others but rather that sometimes if you give the brain a rest from media, the brain will sometimes become more creative and free.

------------------
leftfoot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
CloudChorus
Granular Poster
CloudChorus is a jewel in the roughCloudChorus is a jewel in the roughCloudChorus is a jewel in the rough
Winston-Salem, NC
MC Status: 260

Short answer? No, it doesn't. If you try to produce when fatigued - from music, or just physically or otherwise - it's probably not going to be as good as when you are fresh and inspired.

An artist named Dep is who first inspired me to produce music, and I recall early on in my passion that after I had listened to his first album on repeat, I made the best track I had ever done up to that point. And, I did it in an hour. And, I still like it. Listening to his music, and picking it apart, was what inspired me so greatly and gave me a creative rush I've yet to experience since.

Meanwhile, an easy way to crush my creativity and enthusiasm is to compare myself to others, as someone above mentioned. I'm going to become disheartened, "why didn't I think of that?" "I have no idea how he did that!" etc, etc... but they're not me, of course. Everyone makes music differently, and good ideas are in abundance. We're not running out of those any time soon.
CloudChorus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
TamagoNoise7
Analog Lurker
TamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud of
Canton, OH
MC Status: 1060

i find myself getting motivated to work on something when i listen to other people's work.What i'm listening to might influence me to write something slow or fast, dark or more upbeat or whatever. i can't say it's ever hurt my ability or anything I guess it could be negative if you focus on just trying to sound like someone else. Just figure out what it is you want or feel you need to improve on and take the steps needed to do so. Confidence can go a long way.
TamagoNoise7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #18
bigl2369
IDMf's latest spammer
bigl2369 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If anything it'll give you ideas. You might say hey I like the way this music sounds I think it uses a reverb and filters etc...
bigl2369 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 24410

helps me

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #20
pureglass
Regular Freak
pureglass has a spectacular aura aboutpureglass has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

If you become too obsessed with a particular genre and you happen to make that genre as well, then yes, it can be a bad thing. But I listen to such a wide variety of music that I don't think it's harmful.

Advertisements

pureglass is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote