Triggering emotions is the key to making great music - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 21-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #81
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
Re: Triggering emotions is the key to making great music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'm not being unfair at all. That post covered a whole spectrum of emotions and feelings from the highs to the lows. If you just want to keep it short and sweet, the thanks button is enough.

I'm not implying that you were directly commenting on that. I'm saying that it is part of the whole. If you had taken the time to personally reply to me and provided me with such a personal disclosure, I would make more of an effort to consider how I reply. Most people would.

I'm not annoyed at you. I'm trying to demonstrate a point that's already been made by a few people. Really, the most valuable part of my OP is the first part, about the experience of the other users on the forum. I admire your enthusiasm and I think you're an alright guy who is eager to learn. It's just a matter of learning to slow down and take things on board.

And if you want to just write whatever comes to mind, check out the off topic thread.
yeh i guess im hasty atm.

Im actually working on my music and doing a few other things the replies keep popping up in my inbox and i make a quick reply and move on this thread has been at the back of my thoughts. BUT you would not know this.

If I was chilled and just taking time to read over and think to reply then of course i would do differently as i have just now.

BUt at the time i quickly read what you wrote and felt there was some great points that really stood out to me.

So rather than just dismiss it but at the same time with not much interest in typing much of a reply i gave an acknowdelgement gesture but as u say maybe thanks was enough. I can see from a 3rd perespective it looks poor respect..you write a quality in depth post and some guy writes 'yo cool shit dude' lol.seems more dismsiive than anything.so yeh it was bad but i wasnt thinking like that man.

Advertisements

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to JayMSay
Kvlt O))) (21-05-2014)
Old 22-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #82
Chief Hashcloud
Minor Glitch
Chief Hashcloud is just really niceChief Hashcloud is just really niceChief Hashcloud is just really niceChief Hashcloud is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Never heard of GDP but when I think about ex-girlfriends I always reach for Boyz 2 Men, End of the Road specifically. Being as you have an ex-girlfriend you think about sometimes, you might feel that song as much as I do.

Feel me?
Boys 2 Men never really crossed my mind for that sorta music but I feel you bro :\

I actually have a vast array of what I call "that feel" music. Bright Eyes and La Dispute among others are good for that.

Here's a Space Jesus + GDP remix of that Gotye song "Somebody That I Used to Know". The beat is revamped in a powerful way that a lot of people here might like. Also GDP says things that really resonate with me. He's not your typical lyricist.

"The only thing I know is you'll forget me...Think of how I used to fuck you raw while you were mensing."

Yeah, he's talking about 'fighting the bloody battle', if you know what I mean.
I admit, I've been there. :shitstorm:

Anyway, check the song out if you're not already grossed out!

Chief Hashcloud is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #83
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80995730
Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Hashcloud View Post
emotional.
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #84
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

For me, the best music is music that captures my imagination. Stuff that gives me cool mental images and such. Both deep/serious songs and cheesy as hell fun things can inspire me. Emotions more often than not go along with it all but it's not the main thing that keeps me listening.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
Cypherclerk (23-05-2014)
Old 22-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #85
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

If the OP was right, emo music would be the best thing ever. Emooooo
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Jaded (23-05-2014)
Old 22-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #86
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560030
Thanked 7,382 Times in 5,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Taking Back Sunday is playing a rib cook off in the next city over. Should I go eat some emotional bbq ribs?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #87
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
You say that in jest but Emo > Screamo > EDM, and people think it's the best thing ever, so......

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #88
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175278190
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,948 Posts

Sad / (+) angry = Emotional
All other emotions = Not emotions
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #89
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199645618
Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Hashcloud View Post
Boys 2 Men never really crossed my mind for that sorta music but I feel you bro :\

I actually have a vast array of what I call "that feel" music. Bright Eyes and La Dispute among others are good for that.

Here's a Space Jesus + GDP remix of that Gotye song "Somebody That I Used to Know". The beat is revamped in a powerful way that a lot of people here might like. Also GDP says things that really resonate with me. He's not your typical lyricist.

"The only thing I know is you'll forget me...Think of how I used to fuck you raw while you were mensing."

I admit, I've been there. :shitstorm:

Anyway, check the song out if you're not already grossed out!

Somebody That I Used to Know - Goyte (Space Jesus Remix ft. GDP) - YouTube
Would you have known I was joking had I have said Michael Bolton?

Just trying to find the right formula for the next opportunity.

Last edited by RFJ; 23-05-2014 at 01:23 AM..

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #90
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45946931
Thanked 5,775 Times in 3,628 Posts

Party time all the time
Party party party
party party party
party party party

All the time
All the time
[vocoder]All...the...time [/vocoder]

It's party time all the time
we like to rock the party
you like to rock the party?
we like to rock the party

All the time
All the time
All the time

------------------
brumski
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #91
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

You may wanna put some legal muscle behind that before it gets lifted.

------------------
Old 22-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #92
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Actually jaym I've noticed your posting recently concerns others reactions to you and how you could change your approach so it's more accepted by others.
The more you worry about that the more of a struggle it will all be and the more you will stifle your own creativity.

Letting go of that attachment will actually give you much more in return than holding on to how others perceive and receive you

Just make music and enjoy doing so for yourself, the rest will follow
ya know i hear this a lot and like. i don't think everbody needs to hear it? honestly i'm pretty happy making music that doesn't make any sense to anyone else except that its no fun to not get a response anymore. which is why i have to aim for something more coherent.

i mean i like music that sounds coherent too.... its more like music that actually sounds like its part of a scene or genre or drawing on something more common in music. it makes me happier... i mean, telling someone to create only completely original stuff is like telling them to forget all the music they've heard that is made by other people, thousands of years of progress. there are plenty of very coherent types of music that you could tell someone to make that would be awesome, like i dunno, make something like prokofiev but breakcore. obviously its dumb to make stuff thats boring and has already been done almost exactly the same but i'm just saying there are 2 sides to this.
/rant

------------------

crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to crackmontage
relic (23-05-2014)
Old 23-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #93
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Yes, there are totally two sides to this.

Side one is it's totally fine and acceptable to want to be a part of a scene that appeals to you- and you still have the freedom to do whatever you want and make music for yourself as well while contributing to it.

Side two is being a part of a scene because it's popular and you think you'll make money (or popularity) because of it. So you follow all the tutorials and buy all the same gear as everyone else because that's the money (or popularity) making formula.

And what we're saying is make music for yourself, not for money (or popularity). It has nothing to do with what scene you're contributing to.

It has nothing to do with being completely original vs completely unoriginal, it's all about being critical of your standards.

So many new musicians have this grand idea that being a musician is about some big pompous pissing contest, when it's not. It's about sharing, and expression, and comfort.

Bleh.

------------------
Old 23-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #94
airwalker
Minor Glitch
airwalker will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 90

when i think emotions this song comes to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0s7ycdUcHk

------------------
airwalker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 03:13 AM   #95
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175278190
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,948 Posts

When I think emotions, any song could come to mind.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: GDP- "Someday When Things Are Good"
Old 23-05-2014, 03:34 AM   #96
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
For me, the best music is music that captures my imagination. Stuff that gives me cool mental images and such. Both deep/serious songs and cheesy as hell fun things can inspire me. Emotions more often than not go along with it all but it's not the main thing that keeps me listening.
Imagination is definitely a key word in all this, i agree with almost everything you said.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #97
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim7 View Post
When I think emotions, any song could come to mind.
That's because any song is the best song
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Lug (23-05-2014)
Old 23-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #98
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitez View Post
Imagination is definitely a key word in all this, i agree with almost everything you said.
I take it the part you didn't agree with was the "cheesy as hell fun things can inspire me"
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #99
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560030
Thanked 7,382 Times in 5,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmontage View Post
ya know i hear this a lot and like. i don't think everbody needs to hear it? honestly i'm pretty happy making music that doesn't make any sense to anyone else except that its no fun to not get a response anymore. which is why i have to aim for something more coherent.

i mean i like music that sounds coherent too.... its more like music that actually sounds like its part of a scene or genre or drawing on something more common in music. it makes me happier... i mean, telling someone to create only completely original stuff is like telling them to forget all the music they've heard that is made by other people, thousands of years of progress. there are plenty of very coherent types of music that you could tell someone to make that would be awesome, like i dunno, make something like prokofiev but breakcore. obviously its dumb to make stuff thats boring and has already been done almost exactly the same but i'm just saying there are 2 sides to this.
/rant
There are two sides...I think it is a balance yea? Obviously, most of us want to make something that someone else will enjoy on some level, but to worry so much about "doing it right" that you loose all sense of self is not worth it either.

I think the point of Benwaa's post is so many new electronic musicians question every little move afraid they are "doing it wrong". Its fucking art yo. Express your damn self, while recognizing that all creative endeavors are going to be a reaction to past experience and media consumed.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #100
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906309
Thanked 3,542 Times in 2,146 Posts

This mad cunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
Side one is it's totally fine and acceptable to want to be a part of a scene that appeals to you- and you still have the freedom to do whatever you want and make music for yourself as well while contributing to it.
The key word here is contributing. There's no point just getting involved to find recognition of your talents. It's about recognising the value of what everyone's doing and finding where you fit in making that happen. I know DJ's that ended up being sound guys. Sound guys who ended up being promoters. Promoters who ended up being bartenders. And bartenders who ended up being producers.

The point is that if you believe in a scene, then you'll understand that the DJ is the least important (and most replaceable) link in the chain.

Quote:
Side two is being a part of a scene because it's popular and you think you'll make money (or popularity) because of it. So you follow all the tutorials and buy all the same gear as everyone else because that's the money (or popularity) making formula.
This is just a waste of time. Firstly, you're not going to make money from your own music. At least, not how you think. Generally your own music will cost you money. I've never really made money from gigs, as a local DJ in Melbourne you're lucky to get $120 for an hour. This is less than minimum wage when you look at hours played versus hours preparing and engaging with audience, time spent in venues and travel expenses. Two beers, a cab ride and a post-set meal, there goes your pay.

Secondly, all you will achieve by following this path is making other people money. The tutorial uploaders, the software makers, the sample creators, the educational providers, and so on and so forth. They're all getting a clip throughout the process of converting you into a consumer instead of a creator. If you want to make money, be one of those guys, don't be an artist.

Quote:
And what we're saying is make music for yourself, not for money (or popularity). It has nothing to do with what scene you're contributing to.
This is the best way to do it. If you establish yourself in the scene as a good human being who is hard working and willing to get their hands dirty, you will earn the respect to express yourself creatively. You'll be amazed at how doing a few favours will open doors. If people respect you they will help you develop your work and help you towards your goals.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being completely original vs completely unoriginal, it's all about being critical of your standards.
^ This is super important. Being critical of your work means taking external criticism and evaluating it. If you can't do that then you will struggle to evaluate your work itself.

Quote:
So many new musicians have this grand idea that being a musician is about some big pompous pissing contest, when it's not. It's about sharing, and expression, and comfort.
And unfortunately, there's a whole business devoted to reinforcing that illusion. It's like the notion of the sell-out. It's a construction of the music industry to dupe artists. It lowers their economic expectations and it causes them to actively discourage their peers from obtaining economic freedom. People buy into this ridiculous notion and end up compromising their integrity, spending their money and wasting their time. I meet musicians who have fallen into this trap all of the time. Constantly dissatisfied, completely insecure, wasted.

Music's not a pissing contest. It's a group of people participating in harmony. There's no place for the individual.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote