Copyright Issues?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
MarcFreccero
Minor Glitch
MarcFreccero will become famous soon enoughMarcFreccero will become famous soon enough
Boston, MA
MC Status: 110
Copyright Issues?

Hey guys! Quick question - I hired some people on Fiverr to do a couple vocal samples for me and I'm using them in my song. I was wondering if there is any legal issues I could run into - I already paid them so it's a done deal, but the last thing I want is to release the songs and one of them to say something. I doubt that would happen, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Is there any legal issues I could run into? And if there are, is there any form that I could send them (like a release form) to eliminate any possibility of a future problem?

Advertisements

MarcFreccero is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts
Re: Copyright Issues?

copyright is only an issue with music or words that have been registered by another artist/company. If their voice is not used in any other recording, it's not a copyright issue.

If you paid them and made it clear that you were going to use their voice in your track and they agreed with it; there shouldn't be any problem. If they'd signed a contract of some sort, it could've had you secured.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

You should be good, as long as you don't promise royalties to the artists via Fiverr's terms of use or if you personally discussed the terms with the artists you've hired.

Also assuming the work they did for you isn't owned by Fiverr for being hosted on that website? (Or wherever the files were hosted)

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:07 AM   #4
MarcFreccero
Minor Glitch
MarcFreccero will become famous soon enoughMarcFreccero will become famous soon enough
Boston, MA

I never specifically stated that I was going to use their voice in a track, although I hired them because they had a unique voice (they advertised themselves as having a "movie preview" voice). So I feel like it's almost implied that people are going to use the voice for personal/business use, although it's not explicitly stated
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFreccero View Post
I feel like it's almost implied that people are going to use the voice for personal/business use, although it's not explicitly stated
By people using the voice for personal/business use, Are you referring to others outside of the owner(s) of the intellectual property?

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #6
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903809
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts

Man, why don't you read the terms of use on Fiver? Probably the best place to get your answers about their policies. Took me five seconds and I'm not even a member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFreccero View Post
I never specifically stated that I was going to use their voice in a track, although I hired them because they had a unique voice (they advertised themselves as having a "movie preview" voice). So I feel like it's almost implied that people are going to use the voice for personal/business use, although it's not explicitly stated
No, it's implied that the artist's voice is of a quality that could be used in a movie preview. There is no implication of an expectation of commercial use.

Fiver's terms of service are pretty weak though. There's a lot of assumptions and very little consideration being given to intellectual property rights. (emphasis added)

Quote:
Ownership and limitations: Unless clearly stated otherwise on the sellers Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyrights for the work delivered from the seller, and the seller waives any and all moral rights therein. The delivered work shall be considered work-for-hire under the U.S. Copyright Act. In the event the delivered work does not meet the requirements of work-for-hire or when US Copyright Act does not apply, the seller expressly agrees to assign to buyer the copyright in the delivered work. All transfer and assignment of intellectual property to buyer shall be subject to full payment for the Gig and the delivery may not be used if payment is cancelled for any reason. For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work shall be the exclusive property of buyer, and seller assigns all rights, title and interest in the delivered work. Note: some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for commercial use. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights to the delivered work without purchasing the Extra. If you intend to use it for business purposes, you will need to buy the Extra.
Source: https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service

A couple of terms to understand.

Personal use: means that you use it in a private setting. Like reading a book at home or listening to a song on your iPod.

Business use: means anything that is not personal use. Like using a vocal in a track or distributing copies to anyone but yourself.

So unless you're just listening to the vocal without doing anything else to it you should check the artist's terms and see if you need to purchase an extra "gig" (fuck that's a stupid term).

I still wouldn't feel too comfortable about using a service like this for creative work though. The licensing agreements are not exactly set in stone. I'd rather pay a real wage and get signatures than rely on strangers who could change their mind at a whim and screw you on mechanicals or whatever else they can think of. (Google: Les Djins).

Always have copies of your standard release form and always get signatures...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
PROton42 (19-12-2014)
Old 15-12-2014, 02:18 AM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

And put it this way. Say you used that vocal in a track and the track blows up and ends up in the Billboard Top Ten or something like that. These terms don't really protect you. The artist could definitely sue for compensation for mechanical rights at the least, and probably intellectual property rights as well if there was any kind of free style or autonomy to their performance.
Old 15-12-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
MarcFreccero
Minor Glitch
Boston, MA

I definitely understand - where can I get a standard release form?
Old 15-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Check with your local performing rights associations. They will have copies of standard legal contracts applicable to the local industry.

I'd also review the seller's terms on fiver and perhaps get in direct contact with them to ask them what their thoughts are about how you're going to use their music.

That's why I'm hesitant about services like fiver because I honestly think speaking directly to people gets better results and results in a transaction that is fair on both parties.
Old 15-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #10
MarcFreccero
Minor Glitch
Boston, MA

Luckily I can contact them directly, so what I was thinking of doing is just contacting them and having them sign the form right now (before I release anything)
Old 19-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'd rather pay a real wage and get signatures.
And I thought this attitude died with dubstep!

I mean, yeah. This is EXACTLY how you should go about working with other musicians.

Especially vocalists, they're squishy and need to be reassured that what they're doing is in fact art work, and that they're not just these machines that sit around until someone googles "free acapella"

------------------
Old 19-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Wait, dubstep is dead?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
PROton42 (19-12-2014)
Old 19-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Don't say that man, dubstep is LIFE

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
Kvlt O))) (19-12-2014)