There's something strange going on
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
mskowh
Regular Freak
mskowh is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
There's something strange going on

I have a problem fellow producers! Possibly related to my daw Ableton?

I have a little sequence consisting of a lead layered with another lead that fills all the way to before the kick frequencies, EQ'ed the lowend out. I have made sure that that the master doesn't go above 0 db. When i play the sequence on my krk rokit studio monitors it sounds like i want it too, but when i export the file and listen on Windows media player it sounds like the low end of the kick is removed so it sounds weak in a sense. Anybody have got the same problem or can help with some export settings, or someone who can spot what the problem is out from the information I've been giving?

Advertisements

mskowh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: There's something strange going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskowh View Post
Anybody have got the same problem or can help with some export settings, or someone who can spot what the problem is out from the information I've been giving?
when you are listening on windows media player, what are you monitoring through? the krks? laptop speakers? if the latter, I think I've solved your problem, but can't really answer without more info. I know Rokit's don't deliver the flattest response, so that could be a factor. I use them (5's), and always check everything on headphones (where you can usually spot problems in the bass frequencies that the rokit's don't extend low enough to reveal), and run out through my desktop speakers, just to see how it's translating before exporting.

Last edited by penguinoid; 05-02-2014 at 01:22 AM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
mskowh
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
when you are listening on windows media player, what are you monitoring through? the krks? laptop speakers? if the latter, I think I've solved your problem, but can't really answer without more info. I know Rokit's don't deliver the flattest response, so that could be a factor. I use them (5's), and always check everything on headphones (where you can usually spot problems in the bass frequencies that the rokit's don't extend low enough to reveal), and run out through my desktop speakers, just to see how it's translating before exporting.
I used a headset to listen to the sequence to. A JBL headset, also other songs i listen to doesnt lack the low end so it's kinda weird!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Memly
Memly is just really niceMemly is just really niceMemly is just really niceMemly is just really niceMemly is just really nice
MC Status: 410

What are your settings on the export window?
Are you normalizing?
Do you dither?
Have you got anything on the master channel?

I used to have a pair of KRKs and I cant recall this being an issue for me.

------------------
Memly

Battle Scars

Memly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
mskowh
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memly View Post
What are your settings on the export window?
Are you normalizing?
Do you dither?
Have you got anything on the master channel?

I used to have a pair of KRKs and I cant recall this being an issue for me.
I don't think it's the KRK's, I haven't tried to play the exported file on my krks, but playing it in ableton it sounds fine!
The exported audio file is sounding lackluster in the low end when listening to it on my headset. Playing the file on my krks it sounds like it should again, so it's something with my headset, but yet every other song im playing doesnt have the problem. I also listened to the file through VLC.
The krks are just sitting on my table, the table is a mess with books etc, if that has anything to do with it.

My settings are as used last time:
Normalize off, should it be on?
ATM no dither, but tried with dither and that didnt work either (triangular)
Bit depth tried both 16 and 24 but that didnt make a difference
Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Memly
Memly is just really niceMemly is just really niceMemly is just really niceMemly is just really niceMemly is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Ok, my bad I misunderstood you.
So you create something in Live... it sounds good, then by the time you've rendered it and listened back through other devices it loses the bottom end, what are your eq settings?
KRKs are notorius for colouring the sound, especially the low end.
Take your mix out and try it on some other setups and see how it sounds.
For me I had the opposite... I would do something in Live using my Rokkits and then export it and listen to it in the car or on my home stereo and it would sound really really boomy, no definition in the lower frequencies.
I compensated for this by being more abrupt with my eqing, hoping to find the spot where it still sounded good on my KRKS and on my other listening devices.
I generally used fabfilter pro q for my equing needs. I found that the gui helped a lot as I was able to eq frequecies that I couldnt hear too well through the KRKs.
EQ 8 is more than efficient though.

------------------
Memly

Battle Scars

Memly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Wide Eye
Analog Lurker
Wide Eye has a spectacular aura aboutWide Eye has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I'd say you definitely have some form of mingling with the kick drum from another channel. Check the frequency your kick hits at and put a high pass filter on all other channels from just above this point. On my low ends i generally filter out everything below 120 so the kick and snare can snap through well.
Just to be sure its not just a weak kick, have you exported just the kick with no effects or other sounds just to see if that sounds the same?

------------------
Wide Eye is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
mskowh
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memly View Post
Ok, my bad I misunderstood you.
So you create something in Live... it sounds good, then by the time you've rendered it and listened back through other devices it loses the bottom end, what are your eq settings?
KRKs are notorius for colouring the sound, especially the low end.
Take your mix out and try it on some other setups and see how it sounds.
For me I had the opposite... I would do something in Live using my Rokkits and then export it and listen to it in the car or on my home stereo and it would sound really really boomy, no definition in the lower frequencies.
I compensated for this by being more abrupt with my eqing, hoping to find the spot where it still sounded good on my KRKS and on my other listening devices.
I generally used fabfilter pro q for my equing needs. I found that the gui helped a lot as I was able to eq frequecies that I couldnt hear too well through the KRKs.
EQ 8 is more than efficient though.
Something in live and it sounds good on both headset and krks
Export it and it sounds good on krk but not on headset
There's nothing interferring with the kick really
Old 05-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
mskowh
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Eye View Post
I'd say you definitely have some form of mingling with the kick drum from another channel. Check the frequency your kick hits at and put a high pass filter on all other channels from just above this point. On my low ends i generally filter out everything below 120 so the kick and snare can snap through well.
Just to be sure its not just a weak kick, have you exported just the kick with no effects or other sounds just to see if that sounds the same?
I soloed the kickdrum and exported it, have a listen. On my headset it sounds like crap, like the low frequencies were cut out.: http: //www68(dot)zippyshare(dot)com/v/47762238/file(dot)html
What does it sound like on yours?
It's really strange, it's not anything interferring with the kick.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Take your speakers off your table. You might be hearing the bass response of the boundary proximity effect (since your speakers are near the table and books). You speakers are supposed to be aimed at your ears not your gut.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
mskowh
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Take your speakers off your table. You might be hearing the bass response of the boundary proximity effect (since your speakers are near the table and books). You speakers are supposed to be aimed at your ears not your gut.
I don't think that's the problem really, it would help a lot if you could listen to the file I linked on zippyshare in my last comment, and hear if the kick sounds allright in your soundsystem
Old 05-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
mskowh
Regular Freak

So I found out that it was something with my audio codec in the laptop that was messing with the low end because of some error, I removed the HD audio codec and I heard a pop that "magically" turned the sound normal again
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
RKeffer
Regular Freak
RKeffer will become famous soon enough
Oklahoma City
MC Status: 60

When you export...make sure the settings aren't being changed because of one of the options being checked...make sure it isn't being changed at that point. Like for pictures when you save it as something it changes the quality. Explore the program's options when exporting and make sure your getting what you want.

Advertisements

RKeffer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote