Strange VST issue
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 27-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184660
Thanked 3,693 Times in 2,753 Posts
Strange VST issue

I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction and help me sort this problem out.

Basically, when I load a vst into my DAW it works fine for about 20 minutes and then goes silent..but any other tracks in the mix that were recorded before play back just fine..even those using the same vst that has gone silent. Follow?

I've checked my system..updated all drivers..scanned for malware and viruses and found none..and haven't installed anything new that could be causing this. Plus everything checks out in the Device Manger, with no error messages showing.

One other thing worth pointing out is this happens even if I open a completely new instance of my DAW and load just one vst with not effects added..just the vst.

For the record, I'm running the latest version (5.3.25) of the MuLab DAW on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system. I've posted to the MuLab support forum about this, but they don't seem to know or understand just why this is happening. It seems I'm the first person this has happened to and we're not too sure if it's the DAW or something else. The DAW has been working fine all the long and this only just started up out of the blue just before the weekend just gone.

If anyone has any ideas or advice then I would love to hear what you have to say.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71974
Thanked 1,188 Times in 729 Posts
Re: Strange VST issue

I also run 64 bit Windows 7, I don't know too much about your DAW, but I had to use 32bit (instead of the 64bit) files in order to get any of my plug-ins to work in my DAW(s). It's worth a try at least!

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomesR View Post
I also run 64 bit Windows 7, I don't know too much about your DAW, but I had to use 32bit (instead of the 64bit) files in order to get any of my plug-ins to work in my DAW(s). It's worth a try at least!
Thanks for that, G. I have both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the DAW installed, but I didn't try using the 32 bit one, as I want to sort this out, rather than run from it, if you know what I mean.

Besides, everything has been running smooth now for nearly a year and now this happens over the last few days. The guys at MuLab don't have a clue either ,as they say this has never been reported to them before, so I'm hoping somebody on here has run into something similar and can offer a work-a-round or fix for it. .unless it's completely DAW related..which means I'm basically screwed as no many seem to use MuLab at the moment.

------------------
Old 27-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541930
Thanked 7,020 Times in 4,987 Posts

Are these "recorded" tracks audio tracks then? Im a bit confused about that last bit where you ask if we follow. What VST is it, is it 32bit or 64bit and what is MuLabs?

Its odd that this starts happening out of nowhere. Did the VST somehow unregister itself and revert back to a demo mode? Id also google around and see if people have this issue with the VST despite the DAW.

Do updates recently?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Are these "recorded" tracks audio tracks then? Im a bit confused about that last bit where you ask if we follow. What VST is it, is it 32bit or 64bit and what is MuLabs?

Its odd that this starts happening out of nowhere. Did the VST somehow unregister itself and revert back to a demo mode? Id also google around and see if people have this issue with the VST despite the DAW.

Do updates recently?
Let me give you an example: I open a project which has, say, 3 tracks already recorded in it..one using Alchemy..one with Omnisphere and one using PadShop Pro. These 3 tracks play back fine.

I now want to add a 4th track so I load up another vst..lets say PadShop Pro again. I start messing around in PadShop, working on the sound I want, when about 20 minutes later PadShop suddenly goes silent. All the knobs and dials still work..there's just no sound coming out of it. Yet, if I click play in my DAW to play back the other 3 track, they still play back fine..even that I used PadShop on earlier..it's just the new instance of PadShop that is silent.

You can change the vst to anyone you want in the example above..the issue happens no matter which vst I am using..and it happens now every time I try to use the DAW.

As it happens, I di recently update the DAW to the latest version a couple of weeks ago, but there were no issues until a couple of days ago..plsu nobody else is complaining of about something like this.

Regarding the vsts..it doesn't matter if they are bridged 32 bits one s or 64 bit version..it seems to happen regardless. I've notice it happening now with both Alchemy and Omnisphere so far..and it happens even if they are the only vst loaded, as in a new project with just one vst loaded into one track.

I've goolged the issue with no luck..but am going to try reinstalling the DAW again, in case the update done something wrong.

------------------
Old 27-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Oh shit. I see. Sorry for being dense ;p Yea, I dont know what to say. That is bizzare. Ive occassionally gotten corrupt project files that dont work right.

That would be a huge pain in the ass : ( I guess you could always roll back to the last version that worked properly to test if its the DAW or your system.

------------------
Old 27-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Oh shit. I see. Sorry for being dense ;p Yea, I dont know what to say. That is bizzare. Ive occassionally gotten corrupt project files that dont work right.

That would be a huge pain in the ass : ( I guess you could always roll back to the last version that worked properly to test if its the DAW or your system.
Well, since I posted that reply to I reinstalled the DAW update again and the thing works fine now..whereas it wasn't half hour ago..go figure. The funny thing is I did exactly the same install steps as before and got the same messages. I don't know..maybe it didn't unzip the right way or something and was slightly corrupt of something.

Anyway..it seems to work fine for now. I'll keep an eye on it and spend some time using it later to see if it happens again..hopefully it won't.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (27-01-2014)
Old 27-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
Well, since I posted that reply to I reinstalled the DAW update again and the thing works fine now..whereas it wasn't half hour ago..go figure. The funny thing is I did exactly the same install steps as before and got the same messages. I don't know..maybe it didn't unzip the right way or something and was slightly corrupt of something.

Anyway..it seems to work fine for now. I'll keep an eye on it and spend some time using it later to see if it happens again..hopefully it won't.
I do have to say I often get faulty installs or installers that dont download correctly and wont install at all. Sometimes its worth redownloading the file just to make sure.

Glad you sorted it!

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (27-01-2014)
Old 28-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Crossposting...didn't want the FAWM thread too derailed.
Quote:
Well, I think I got that issue with my system sorted out..no sign of it happening again and I've been messing around in the DAW since 4am with no problems. The only thing I need to do now is get my nanoKontrol 2, that arrived yesterday, hooked up to the system.

I tried setting it up last night, but I've never before in my life had to map anything and it's turning into a real nightmare..can't make head or tail of what the f*ck I'm doing!
I find it much easier to use [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
when troubleshooting midi gear. You can see what midi devices are available:

And you can monitor what messages are being sent and which ports are showing signs of life:

(ignore the midi port routing window)
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
A.M (28-01-2014)
Old 28-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Crossposting...didn't want the FAWM thread too derailed.
I find it much easier to use [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
when troubleshooting midi gear. You can see what midi devices are available:

And you can monitor what messages are being sent and which ports are showing signs of life:

(ignore the midi port routing window)
Thanks, scyn..and apologies regarding the derail,,should have known better.

Anywa..I think my head just exploded looking at the graphics you posted. Man, I just don't have the aptitude for this shit..it's all too deep for my brain to get into..but I know I've got to and I've been putting it off for years..seriously. Now I wish I'd jumped in at the deep end years ago, instead of having to sort all this stuff out now at the last minute.

Well, I guess it's like anything else..takes some trial and error before you get to understand it and know what you're doing..and looks like today is T& E day for me.

Thanks for the recommendation..I'll certainly be checking that out.

------------------
Old 28-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Most of that info is irrelevant to the task of identifying the controller. The first pic just shows all your midi inputs and outputs, which on most pc's will be one or two devices (like your nanoKontrol). If you see your device there - cool, if not, close the app and sort the problem out elsewhere. Midi-ox in this scenario is purely for telling you whether the system sees your hardware & it's communications.

If you do see you nanKontrol in that first window - then you'd open the Monitor Output window (with all the green & blue text) and make sure that when you turn a knob / press a button on the controller that your pc is receiving those messages. Again - the actual data is irrelevant - so long as something is happening is what's important.
Thanks to scyn
A.M (28-01-2014)
Old 28-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
A.M

Quote:
Most of that info is irrelevant to the task of identifying the controller. The first pic just shows all your midi inputs and outputs, which on most pc's will be one or two devices (like your nanoKontrol). If you see your device there - cool, if not, close the app and sort the problem out elsewhere. Midi-ox in this scenario is purely for telling you whether the system sees your hardware & it's communications.

If you do see you nanKontrol in that first window - then you'd open the Monitor Output window (with all the green & blue text) and make sure that when you turn a knob / press a button on the controller that your pc is receiving those messages. Again - the actual data is irrelevant - so long as something is happening is what's important.
Thanks again for that. I just tried it out and the nanoKontrol isn't showing up. Guess I'll have to do the suggested uninstall of drivers and reinstall everything..as well as edit the registry before it will show up.

Will post back when I get it sorted..or else I'll be looking for advice if I don't.

------------------
Old 28-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
ENDIF
ENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud of
Saint Paul, MN
MC Status: 1210

Many demo versions of plug ins do that. Can you have loaded an unauthorized instance?

------------------
ENDIF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDIF View Post
Many demo versions of plug ins do that. Can you have loaded an unauthorized instance?
Yeah, I'm aware of that..but I don't use demos on my main workstation. Nothing goes on it that I haven't tested and scanned prior to installation. I also don't use crippled or hacked stuff..if something is worth using, then it's worth paying for and supporting.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
ENDIF (30-01-2014)
Old 29-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
A.M

Well, I'm buggered well and truly! I just can't for the life of me get my new nanoKontrol2 to work the way I want it to. All I can seem to manage to do is get one fader working in my daw..and I have to click on that with the mouse to choose it before it will work..kind of defeats the whole point of using a fecking controller like this!

I just don't understand this mapping business and I've been onto the makers of my daw..read the support forum over at Korg and gone through a ton of YouTube vids on the subject and still can't get the bloody thing to work! It's installed OK and the daw is reading it..just can't seem to map it properly is all.

------------------
Old 30-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #16
ENDIF
ENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud ofENDIF has much to be proud of
Saint Paul, MN
MC Status: 1210

Won't map at all, or mapping disappears when a new project is made?
IIRC, Ableton maps in the project.

If not at all, swap cable, update drivers from website, uh... try different devices in project, try device with different destination.

That's all I got.

------------------
ENDIF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ENDIF
A.M (30-01-2014)
Old 30-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #17
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDIF View Post
Won't map at all, or mapping disappears when a new project is made?
IIRC, Ableton maps in the project.

If not at all, swap cable, update drivers from website, uh... try different devices in project, try device with different destination.

That's all I got.
Thanks for that, E..but I'm sorry to say I'm complete crap at this sort of thing..I just can't follow what it is I'm supposed to do and the instructions just don't seem to be giving me the desired results when I follow them to the letter. It feels like something is missing or there is a guidebook or some thing I don't have.

I've never mapped anything in my life, so this is my first time and it's a nightmare..totally frustrating, as I know I should be able to do this..just can't seem to get my head around it.

------------------
Old 30-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
scyn
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Quote:
Well, I'm buggered well and truly! I just can't for the life of me get my new nanoKontrol2 to work the way I want it to. All I can seem to manage to do is get one fader working in my daw..and I have to click on that with the mouse to choose it before it will work..kind of defeats the whole point of using a fecking controller like this!
Hence testing it in midi-ox. If all the controls are sending out midi data you can at least be sure the controller is working and eliminate that from being the issue. If you're stuck with midi-ox gimme a shout and I'll do a step-by-step.

If you know the controller is working I can download mutools free and try midi map one of my controllers...assuming the free version allows midi mapping. Will only be able to do that later tonight tho.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
A.M

Quote:
Hence testing it in midi-ox. If all the controls are sending out midi data you can at least be sure the controller is working and eliminate that from being the issue. If you're stuck with midi-ox gimme a shout and I'll do a step-by-step.

If you know the controller is working I can download mutools free and try midi map one of my controllers...assuming the free version allows midi mapping. Will only be able to do that later tonight tho.
Thanks, Scyn..you're a gent and a lifesaver!

Yeah..MiniOx shows the in and out are working..MuLab shows the nanoKontrol2 in it's midi setup panel..and I can even get one of the faders to work..but I still need to use the mouse to chose it before I can use it, if you follow what I mean..and that defeats the whole point really of using the controller in the first place.

I'm pretty sure I should be able to map all faders and knobs so they work when I touch em..though I'm not too sure if I would be able to use more than one at a time. I'm guessing I should..but like I said, I'm crap at this kind of thing, so please excuse my total ignorance of the subject.

The Korg nanoKontrol 2 Editor software comes with mackie settings / presets/ templates for a number of the other big daws, making it really "plug & play"..but not for MuLab, which means I need to run it on the "global" setting (..whatever that means) and that's what I've been doing..just not getting the results I'd hoped and I figure that's due to me and not the daw or the nanokontrol2.

------------------
Old 30-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #20
scyn
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\

K I'll download mulab and have a play with it tonight. Sounds like the midi mapping is finicky but it's hard to tell. Will post again later. Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version?

Advertisements