hey
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
xoxos
Minor Glitch
xoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9762
hey

i'm real sorry to be here asking this. real sorry.

cuz i don't really want to spend my time on forums, and haven't said much here in years and years. if much then.

but i'm way curious.

i entered some piece of shit in the kvr DC which i thought was pretty forward looking. i understand the world is moving on and there's all kinds of amazing stuff around today. but, i still kinda figured that it was interesting enough that people would be interested, and maybe talk about it.

it's not that i want to be rich off my freeware, i want to know that the idea inspired people. i know.. no one's obliged, but.. culture tends to be interactive.

so, please tell me. have you heard of blewm, is it just no big deal to you? did you never notice it? are new ideas a thing of the past or no longer interesting?

what?

blewm.

oh - i have 29 posts, not 30, so please add http to this..
xoxos.net/blewm.zip

i feel like i'm fucking invisible.
hi idmforums :p

Advertisements

xoxos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
xoxos
Minor Glitch
xoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond reputexoxos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: hey

dang, that's 30 posts..
http://xoxos.net/blewm.zip
Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388499
Thanked 5,090 Times in 3,319 Posts

Are you testing my oneness with the universe?

Anyway, I assume you mean this: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/blewm-by-xoxos - hadn't heard of it, will have a nosey.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
xoxos (05-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Hi, Rurik!
Good to see you back, and back in the dev-swing (if you ever had a break from it).
I have played with it before you posted it here. I like the idea, just as I liked Breathcube.
Blewm is a fun piece, but maybe I was missing a few more knobs, sliders and check-boxes (yes, I'm used to your midi/generative plugins and use them quite frequenctly). The "limitations" makes it less fun to play, as it has more of a mind of its own so to speak. On the other hand, too many parameters to control makes it (appear) too complicated. But now it works great as a "random music generator". It's definitely more alive and organic than many other synths, samplers and effects out there.

Fun things at 999BPM and low mix and drum mix turned off (level 0).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
xoxos (05-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943931
Thanked 5,715 Times in 3,599 Posts

I just looked at your site and I have some of your plugins. Love the Hyperion one and I used it on one of the older Tide releases!

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
xoxos (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
xoxos
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
now it works great as a "random music generator".
did a thread in the dc forum at kvr "blewm theory and practice" entailing my perspective on the project.. given that it was ~"let's see what i can put together in 8 weeks" i'm not anxious to assert it's values, only to expose the idea that a novel medium is easy to enact the general malaise led me to search further.. to maximise the synergetic social dynamic of my investment... but atm my belly's full..

thanks for the reads and replies.. it's great to believe other people can see my posts! woke up at 4am and decided to post sale prices on my website for anyone suscep- i mean happy consumers..

finding graphics more engaging atm, headphones only since 2009. maybe a new product line, "total bullshit," "myopic escapism," stuff that really degrades the audience. business as usual.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

I tried it and it's neat but in a novelty kind of way. The user can't really have their own fun with it.
Ultimately in this kind of music the composer is the guy who wrote the algorithms. That leaves us watching xoxos music being made using xoxos sounds, which is fascinating for a short while, and then what.

To be honest, it could be groundbreaking from a coding point of view, I don't know shit about that. But from the musical point of view it's a program that iterates endless but very similar sounding tunes with very little user input, and from the philosophical point of view all it tells us is if you make the rules of composition rigid and limited enough a machine will be able to compose, which was self-evident to begin with.

Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
xoxos
Minor Glitch

no, that's fair enough. i've done a few iterations through the years ('94??) and the deficits of the one before this led me to prioritise the mix in this build. end result is still one pothead, 8 weeks, and, as you say, novelty/POC and pretty banal.

in contrast, the one before this (new blend.. a bug appeared in the last week so it crashes too frequently to be much fun) had an awful mix, but much more developed sequencing, which was (honestly!) quite entertaining.

prolly made this point frequently, but essentially it is that the model is viable for the same functionality as recorded music. if aphex released one generator every five years, i'd anticipate it would get at least as much auditioning time from his fans as an album. i don't think there's a hard line that says "any definable algorithm is only capable of making uninteresting music".

if you've ever used random text generators (there's some incarnation of lyrics/poetry exe on my site) you probably know that the adjuncts can be immensely amusing (perhaps not consistently unless you take a lot of psychedelics or otherwise bear a gift for interpretation).

i think there is space to be explored here.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxos View Post
prolly made this point frequently, but essentially it is that the model is viable for the same functionality as recorded music. if aphex released one generator every five years, i'd anticipate it would get at least as much auditioning time from his fans as an album. i don't think there's a hard line that says "any definable algorithm is only capable of making uninteresting music".
Ah, from that point of view I agree completely. I pretty much spelled it out without realizing it at the time, but I think you should have called it a xoxos album.

With the expectation of something for me to make music with it bored me a lot faster than if I'd just sat back and listened. And it would have conveyed the concept without distraction.

Last edited by lebeux; 10-09-2014 at 09:07 PM..
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
xoxos (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
xoxos
Minor Glitch

soz, wholly intentional i also foresaw disappointment from those wishing to "exploit" it.. loops, fake albums to sell, whatev.. but not the volume of this response.

i'm all kinda like.. "really? really? a 1 bar bassline and 4 bars of rhythm are that elusive?" but it's a thin joke that doesn't have much leg on it.

imo beyond POC it is functional as a "psychically neutral space," noise to mask out other stuff. a "mind screen". kind of like some of the more minimal techno albums i used to play ages ago. the whole idea of trying to control it.. it's pretty hard not to see some john waters kid with a bra on his head surrounded by girls

and centipedes. i also see them surrounded by lots of big, juicy centipedes.
Thanks to xoxos
lebeux (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
xoxos
Minor Glitch

sometime i'm gonna write a book for western kids, called "stop".

in the east, the dragon represents motion and the tiger represents stillness. in the west, they fuck the tiger. can't have tigers, who will go to the shops if people believe in stillness? who is going to buy my plugins if people are content within themselves?

so, almost nobody on one side of the globe knows how to stop doing things, only to start something else, from one cultural affliction to the other. and nobody can figure out how i got to this subject from the last
Thanks to xoxos
lebeux (11-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxos View Post
sometime i'm gonna write a book for western kids, called "stop".

in the east, the dragon represents motion and the tiger represents stillness. in the west, they fuck the tiger. can't have tigers, who will go to the shops if people believe in stillness? who is going to buy my plugins if people are content within themselves?

so, almost nobody on one side of the globe knows how to stop doing things, only to start something else, from one cultural affliction to the other. and nobody can figure out how i got to this subject from the last
Its an interesting culture for sure. Ever expanding to satisfy its never ending thirst for more. within the system a lot of wealth is created through this culture and mindset though often on the expense of other values. you know the benefit of being a tiger within such a system? If you are satisified with less you don't need to take much part in the stressfullness that comes with following the systems values. So you can enjoy much of the public wealth living richly while doing little to support it. The system is built on ever increasing expansion and such a culture can never last, nothing can expand for ever. So when we stop we just gotta enjoy the ride and don't worry to much about that we are living of other peoples misery and that its all gonna come to a possible sudden painful stop cause it really isn't our fault.

I haven't seen you program vst thing but I enjoyed the discussion in the thread =)

Last edited by Crude_beats; 12-09-2014 at 08:29 AM..
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
xoxos (13-09-2014)
Old 13-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #13
xoxos
Minor Glitch

i think it's a pretty shit culture actually

i had a wonderful, erudite childhood. good eg. welsh upbringing (well travelled), to tucson where being british placed me in advanced education with the elites. spent summers on an apache res. with my father. dropped out of uni to live at arcosanti where i was introduced to all sorts of things i probably would have missed otherwise eg. lynn margulis. this brought my focus to bear on memetics which i thought would be a great way to redact some of the disparity between cultures and do synergetic neat shit.

after breathcube in '04 weird shit started to happen. and i have since endured ~10 years now of covert masonic and government harassment. i'd made some wealthy enemies who i guess played me off a sa dom terrorist to get me on "the list". think of some polite gentle naive, well spoken little lord fauntleroy type plopped in the middle of the last scene from scarface, age a decade and you've got my life. you can approach how i basically couldn't give a fuck how i come across after ten years of fucking shit.

i've been attesting to this on kvr for these 10 years but that's all very well "perception managed" so i look like a fucking nutcase no matter what i say. assholes like vurt and hink going around telling people i "threatened hovmod's children" because i said mining was throwing away the future.

i'm writing this post for the second time as the page bailed so you'll excuse the sentiment being less spontaneous. insert more swears and you get it.

so fuck culture. i used to think we'd memetically fucked ourselves with dynamics from advertising, but now i have deeper insight into the real mechanics of culture. man is not a ravening beast, man is fucked by dicks.

being psychotronically fucked (i've had implants in and out of me and no fuck is given about if anyone believes that - reference james walbert, wired magazine) is unimaginably heinous shit, but it is nothing compared to being unable to help people, to make a difference to society, do anything actually productive. that hurts like all fucking hell.

so fuck this culture. it's (masonic fuckshite) all so fucking obvious and well documented but how do i sound now? we both know i look like a freaking fuck.

i mean shit you know who i've got for advocacy? roseanne fucking barr. any other names you recognise trying to acknowledge mkultra or project monarch?

among my classmates.. gabrielle giffords (congresswoman shot in head by monarch puppet) and walter bowart's kids. i watched all these rich kids come up, know the connections, who was demolay, who knew who and who does what.

no point in going on, fuck culture, the worst victims are the ones who perpetrate.. they are hurt beyond hope. in exchange for being bright, informed and capable i get my ass fucked from one marginal venue to the next going through shit no one will ever believe and having fucking cryptocrats laugh in my face about it. i cannot translate this experience so that others can appreciate what it means about history ("those who know history are doomed to watch others repeat it") and i could spout well documented facts all day long about masons et c and it would be like piss on a wall.

oh, i fucking know.
Thanks to xoxos
Crude_beats (18-09-2014)
Old 18-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Took me probably 15min to decode this, many names and words Im not familiar with but it was an interesting wikipedia journey to fill out my lunch break..

Well I don't like a lot about our culture either but there are some gems to be found within it. Hollywood for example have done quite a few philosophically/politically important works last decades that is challenging for people who otherwise don't deal with these questions. And I really enjoy watching the progress and messages delivered through movies. When you start to connect some dots you spot more and more and I think there are many. I don't necessarily believe its all on purpose its probably an evolution of portrayal of ideas through this medium. Simply memetics at work There is also a medium through which everyone can share ideas with everyone else - internet. Information is there for anyone who wants it. And this memes you talk about can spread faster then ever before. If there will ever be a worldwide change in ideas and culture it will likely be through the use of internet.

Personally I was saved by movies, reggae 70ths songs/movies and the bible - its where I find fuel for my ideas and ideals. I wonder how that makes me come across =)

Well how you look is based on the observer. I think people who are "all is well there is no conspiracy" are most deluded. But I don't go so far myself to say I know who or what is behind something or that I actually can know anything Just that it has been written in advance and that it seems to be unfolding this way - which is interesting.

About whole masonic stuff.. I'm skeptic in nature, like uber skeptic to everything except my own ideas and ideals - those are my law and reality. I don't trust the world at all really, except when it speaks to my ideals. I'm not convinced about the whole masonry thing, it would make some sense, but it also makes sense its simply a culture/system/prison for a certain group of people that struggle towards ideals that stem from the culture and get reinforced by the culture without a mastermind. Just a never ending cycle of the same mistakes relating to greed and pride. If there are masons about planning and scheming, personally I let them do so, cause they only bring about their own downfall in the end. Some people are beasts, some are dicks, some are not. I don't care about them. If I cared about people that fall off my scale for reasonable I'd care way to much and often.

One thing I have realized is that we are not all the same. We are very different. If its like that from birth or simply a path of choices I do not know but I do believe in choice. And that realization is an important one cause when people speak of humans like animals to justify or explain behaviors they mean that you and I are the same and capable of the same thing as them, often relating to unmoral actions but they can speak for themselves if they are in need of justification.

Me I'm just being here and enjoy what is offered until I die and pay the price for my errors. When history repeats itself I bring the popcorn and watch the horror show.

Fuck the culture? Well yeah its fucking itself.

All this got me interested to know what you work with?

Last edited by Crude_beats; 18-09-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
highcombat
Savage Mad Cunt
highcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MChighcombat is a savage MC
MC Status: 43883

hey

------------------
highcombat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #16
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Holy fuck.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031791
Thanked 7,287 Times in 4,526 Posts

Hey, nice to see you here, but no, sorry, never heard of it.

Advertisements

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote