Do you use linux? - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #181
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329124900
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,163 Posts
Re: Do you use linux?

so i decided to take the plunge into arch.been using slackware for many years,so i am familiar w/command line stuff.i must admit arch is a challenge.i have a working arch install just no gui yet.be doing that today.why?because i have never been able to make arch work.so i am already ahead of the game.and fuck im bored.i need a challenge and a break from my album.

Advertisements

Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Rixtr
Daggit (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #182
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Icon3 Re: Do you use linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
so i decided to take the plunge into arch.been using slackware for many years,so i am familiar w/command line stuff.i must admit arch is a challenge.i have a working arch install just no gui yet.be doing that today.why?because i have never been able to make arch work.so i am already ahead of the game.and fuck im bored.i need a challenge and a break from my album.
Nice.

I will probably be trying Arch via Antergos pretty soon too.
I can't remember very many command line commands, but I understand the primary concepts in computer science pretty well.

It just sucks that 32-bit support is getting dropped in various places. I like to fix up old computers, and this will make it harder to do that.

But anyways, the Ubuntu Systems are OK, but I've learned that they are just a little bit bloated and I want to try to create a 100% lean system where there's nothing extra whatsoever--just audio and video and graphics programs of my choice.

So that excludes Mint and Ubuntu Studio and even Xubuntu and Lubuntu (Lubuntu is missing some stuff to make it more user-friendly).

I tried Manjaro and that didn't work at all, so I'm really hoping I can get something going.

But anyways, I think it's great that you are trying new stuff; you've got a good mind. Peace.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #183
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
Rixtr: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
For the GUI, I believe this is the guide I followed for installing Cinnamon: https://www.tecmint.com/install-cinn...in-arch-linux/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
...I want to try to create a 100% lean system where there's nothing extra whatsoever--just audio and video and graphics programs of my choice.
Daggit, there would be no better choice in that case than to try out Arch. It's a bit involved, but will ensure you have ONLY what you need. As far as basic commands, the Arch wiki is your friend: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/core_utilities

Last edited by I/O_Madness; 04-10-2017 at 04:28 AM..

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #184
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Rixtr: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
For the GUI, I believe this is the guide I followed for installing Cinnamon: https://www.tecmint.com/install-cinn...in-arch-linux/

Daggit, there would be no better choice in that case than to try out Arch. It's a bit involved, but will ensure you have ONLY what you need. As far as basic commands, the Arch wiki is your friend: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/core_utilities
i kinda almost wanna say fuck you,no duh,but i really can't cause you are a longtime friend.old school pre purge guy.so yeah thanks.oh yeah the cinnamon thing was helpful!
and a happy fuck you biatch!
Thanks to Rixtr
I/O_Madness (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #185
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

As soon as you nancy boys are ready to put away your Fischer Price toy Arch installs and get with a real man's OS, give Gentoo a go. None of those namby pamby binary packages, you get to compile everything from source, set every option (no defaults) and read tons of man pages. It'll put hair on your chest and make your computer smell like a medium rare steak.

All kidding aside, Gentoo is pretty great for a truly barebones install and an interesting learning experience without going full LFS or Slackware - it at least has dependency checking and a real package mangaer. I use it for some stripped down things like BIND servers and DHCP failover. Mostly I just use CentOS these days, because if I'm using Linux, stability >>> everything else.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #186
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
golly gee wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
As soon as you nancy boys are ready to put away your Fischer Price toy Arch installs and get with a real man's OS, give Gentoo a go. None of those namby pamby binary packages, you get to compile everything from source, set every option (no defaults) and read tons of man pages. It'll put hair on your chest and make your computer smell like a medium rare steak.

All kidding aside, Gentoo is pretty great for a truly barebones install and an interesting learning experience without going full LFS or Slackware - it at least has dependency checking and a real package mangaer. I use it for some stripped down things like BIND servers and DHCP failover. Mostly I just use CentOS these days, because if I'm using Linux, stability >>> everything else.
man you got some big ass balls.love it.yeah i am totally used to slackware.best linux distro i have used.total control.love it.had to try arch though.we will see,dunno probably go back to slack.who knows.on another note i love your brass man.killer.
Thanks to Rixtr
Artificer (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:12 AM   #187
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
lmao

Quote:
That's intense. I've been trying to learn a bit about compiling stuff from source. A few things I've been working on where you actually need to compile it. Audacity, for one, I've been wanting to add mp3 support (it doesn't come with it as is). I'd like to get using that more, that'd be intense to do everything like that.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #188
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute

I never compile anything.
I can't be arsed to do that.
But props to anybody who knows enough of how to do that.
I wouldn't know what to do if it didn't compile right, or if it crashed during compiling.
I don't want to be a programmer, I want to be a musician/recording engineer.
I specifically changed from computer sci major to recording engineering major in college.
So yeah, I really can't be arsed to do that

------------------
Thanks to Daggit
I/O_Madness (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #189
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
I never compile anything.
I can't be arsed to do that.
But props to anybody who knows enough of how to do that.
I wouldn't know what to do if it didn't compile right, or if it crashed during compiling.
I don't want to be a programmer, I want to be a musician/recording engineer.
I specifically changed from computer sci major to recording engineering major in college.
So yeah, I really can't be arsed to do that
Fair enough. I'm trying to learn lots of stuff about Linux, but eventually I hope to use that to make music instruments, plugins, and shtuff. Computers are kinda my second love, music being the first. I'd like to mess with codecs and be able to do some weird codec stuff. Plus I can't stand Microsoft or Apple.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Daggit (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #190
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Icon7 Re: Do you use linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Fair enough. I'm trying to learn lots of stuff about Linux, but eventually I hope to use that to make music instruments, plugins, and shtuff. Computers are kinda my second love, music being the first. I'd like to mess with codecs and be able to do some weird codec stuff. Plus I can't stand Microsoft or Apple.
That's friggin awesome. I like the idea of a true musician actually knowing how to do upper level comp sci stuff for pro audio and pulling it off.

I wanted to do that kind of thing too for a while, but I never got anywhere close to that level. I passed my programming classes and digital logical classes, but I've never done anything since. I tried to learn some VST kits, but it was over my head. I don't even really know how to do kernel scripts even though I used to back in the 1990s.

I've just lost so much knowledge and it's all been replaced with a narrow set of pro audio ideals and techniques. And after so many years, my musical skills haven't progressed much either.

But oh well. I might try a project later on this year of turning old used computers into jukeboxes.

But your project is a lot cooler. Peace.

------------------
Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 AM   #191
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

The only reason to build an OS from the ground up is to gain understanding into how it's configured and to say you did it. Outside some very specific edge cases (which don't apply to music or probably anyone on this forum), running the sort of stripped down, embedded-level systems you're talking about with LFS and Gentoo is more about bragging rights than productivity.

Configuring and building your OS is a good way to learn some about how the system works, but it's not the only way. If you really want a window into what your OS is doing (or not doing), learn to interpret log files - where they are, what they say, and how you can leverage them. Setting up programs is mostly a one time thing where you set a bunch of config flags on compile/install, whereas logs tell you what's actually going on with your system down to the second. Look at programs like top, ntop, ps or pstree to see what's going on under the hood and drill down from there.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #192
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
golly gee wiz

Quote:
The only reason to build an OS from the ground up is to gain understanding into how it's configured and to say you did it. Outside some very specific edge cases (which don't apply to music or probably anyone on this forum), running the sort of stripped down, embedded-level systems you're talking about with LFS and Gentoo is more about bragging rights than productivity.

Configuring and building your OS is a good way to learn some about how the system works, but it's not the only way. If you really want a window into what your OS is doing (or not doing), learn to interpret log files - where they are, what they say, and how you can leverage them. Setting up programs is mostly a one time thing where you set a bunch of config flags on compile/install, whereas logs tell you what's actually going on with your system down to the second. Look at programs like top, ntop, ps or pstree to see what's going on under the hood and drill down from there.
bingo like i said man i been using slackware for years,you have to build everything man.i think i know alot but not as much as i think,that is why i am building arch,i need to learn more.simple he hit it right on the head.
Old 17-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #193
Daggit
Master of the LFO

I test out distros to learn more about their strengths and weaknesses, similarities and differences, community support or vaporwareness. It's worked out really well and actually saves me time in the future in the long run. I'm the type of guy that reads Release Notes and Bug Reports for distros. I like to get an idea of what's being accomplished and what isn't. That's what's kept me safely away from some of the beating-your-head-against-the-wall Linuxes or MacOS or Windows versions and saved me time and money. For all my complaining, I don't usually mention when stuff works out great, because I'm too busy using that stuff for creative and educational purposes.

Advertisements

------------------