PC acting strange - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 18-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #21
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760
Re: PC acting strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Did you even read this thread before posting?
yea to be fair he is a guy who dosent know how to make or find a basic super saw so hes possibly not the sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to simple tasks like reading a thread

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #22
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8560

:badger:

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
A.M (19-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 01:42 AM   #23
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942931
Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,587 Posts

I know Win10 has a "restore" feature that'll factory reset the OS without deleting your files (and if you've got files on a file drive that's not the OS, you're good anyway) Or apps/programs but I can't remember if 7 has that feature. I know, I know...I hate to say it but I really can't help it...update to Win10 if you can. As weird as it is getting used to it, you're probably going to be forced into it eventually anyway unless you're running it completely offline.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 04:45 AM   #24
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I know Win10 has a "restore" feature that'll factory reset the OS without deleting your files (and if you've got files on a file drive that's not the OS, you're good anyway) Or apps/programs but I can't remember if 7 has that feature. I know, I know...I hate to say it but I really can't help it...update to Win10 if you can. As weird as it is getting used to it, you're probably going to be forced into it eventually anyway unless you're running it completely offline.
that's close to what i said, yet im blunt knife

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
A.M (19-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #25
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Guys, I get what you're both saying..but like I said, I DON'T like 10 and don't want to upgrade to it..did that already and it's crap how they keep changing things in the background each time they do an update. They fuck with your settings and changing the privacy settings and shit like that..

One setting..can't remember off the top of my head..needed you to be logged into you MS account and then log into their site to change a setting, but when you did that and came away, the setting would simply revert back to how it was before you changed it..effectively giving them permission to do shit you didn't want them to do.

Basically, my life is too short to spend so much time trying to get them to do what they are supposed to be doing anyway. How any times are you supposed to change a setting before they let it stay the way you set it?

Short answer: I don't trust em anymore..not that I trusted MS a whole lot to begin with,

Moving on..I'm going to have the do a full format after all, the Win 7 disc I have won't give me the option to do an "in place" update, which leaves me no other choice now but to format the drive and reinstall everything all over again.

It's going to take a few days, but the positive thing is I should end up with a better studio machine, as I won't be installing half of the stuff I have on it currently.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Jaded (19-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #26
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69886369

I had the LMB sometimes = RMB problem, and I fixed it by opening up my mouse with a screwdriver and cleaning out the years of oily brb gunk that had accumulated over the switches and between the moving parts of the outer shell. Have you tried using a different mouse and if so does the problem persist?

Also how hot is your PC running? When's the last time you opened it up and gave it a thorough air-clean? It sounds like you have software issues, but my current craptop (also win7) plays up, bugs out and gets quite uncooperative if its vents are blocked with ash and cat hair, especially in the summer.

...And my last PC died with similar symptoms to yours, by the way. I tried everything, had 3 top geeks try every trick they knew too. Went through umpteen reinstalls, cleans, rearrangements, different OSs, different PSUs, reikki, exorcisms, you name it. Same response every time, after 10 minutes it would just bug out and seize up. Best guess is that something physical burnt or rusted or decayed in some subtle invisible way.

Back up your installers, project files, samples etc. Do it now!

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
A.M (19-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #27
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
I had the LMB sometimes = RMB problem, and I fixed it by opening up my mouse with a screwdriver and cleaning out the years of oily brb gunk that had accumulated over the switches and between the moving parts of the outer shell. Have you tried using a different mouse and if so does the problem persist?

Also how hot is your PC running? When's the last time you opened it up and gave it a thorough air-clean? It sounds like you have software issues, but my current craptop (also win7) plays up, bugs out and gets quite uncooperative if its vents are blocked with ash and cat hair, especially in the summer.

...And my last PC died with similar symptoms to yours, by the way. I tried everything, had 3 top geeks try every trick they knew too. Went through umpteen reinstalls, cleans, rearrangements, different OSs, different PSUs, reikki, exorcisms, you name it. Same response every time, after 10 minutes it would just bug out and seize up. Best guess is that something physical burnt or rusted or decayed in some subtle invisible way.

Back up your installers, project files, samples etc. Do it now!
Cheers, hear ya, bro..did all you suggested already..just in case the shit hits the fan.

------------------
Old 22-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #28
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nice
MC Status: 360
Icon4 Re: PC acting strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
You better start backing up your stuff before it's too late. I believe clean install is always the best solution if so many bad things start happening at once.
I would disagree I cannot remember one instance when a re-install OVER the current Windows install, without a reformat, has not worked.

Got nothing to lose right

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rmedhurst
A.M (23-07-2016)
Old 24-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #29
A.M

Just a short followup of sorts, for anyone reading this whose interested..

I've been putting off formatting the main system drive and trying whatever other options wee open to me, starting with the basics first..like checking drivers and rolling back recent installs.

I checked the HD to make sure it's not failing and it seems to be in perfect condition.

All drivers are up to date and working fine.

All Windows files are there and not corrupted.

I did a system restore via Windows itself and that didn't sort the issue out.

So this morning I used the True Image software from Acronis to install / recover the image of my system drive and everything on it, as things where when the image was taken..meaning when everything worked fine..and after rebooting everything worked just fine.

I stepped away from my PC for two hours and just came back to find the issue is back again. How the hell it cam be back after recovering the system image is beyond me! To my understanding this is impossible, but maybe I'm missing something.

The funny thing is I would perhaps get it if I were running some program that might cause a conflict or something, but I wasn't..the PC was just turned on with no programs open, other than those that load on boot..and which have never caused any problems before..and none of them were updated before all this started.

Whatever it is seems to be only effecting the task bar and a handful of VSTs when loaded in my DAW..everything else seems to be working fine.

What I don't get is how this issue can come back like this after recovering the system image..everything on my HD should have been deleted and replaced with the earlier image which was taken when my system was issue-free.

------------------
Old 25-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #30
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
just sweep everything under the carpet with broom.exe
10/10 I'm dying.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #31
A.M

I just rebooted my system before starting the format and everything is normal again! I simply haven't got a fucking clue what's going on..anyway, going to start formatting..I may be gone for some time.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Numerical (28-07-2016)
Old 26-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #32
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I hope it works out.

Windows 7 was the last Microsoft OS I used before leaping the chasm over to Linux land.
My Windows 7 OS'es kept corrupting themselves during shutdown. I think Windows was trying to write important(?) system logs to the disk while it was switching off the power already. But I couldn't find a way to prevent that even with Registry hacks designed to increase the delay time.

And even my Windows 7 restore/install disks failed while my Linux liveCD's worked every time. That's how I ended up over here. I would've gone back to XP, but it was unsupported by then, and I couldn't find any fresh copies to buy that weren't uber expensive pirate copies.

The funny thing is, I run all my classic Windows XP software here in 32-bit Ubuntu Studio Linux.

Anyways, good luck. I hope it works out. We are here to help if you need it.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #33
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts

So A.M, you're saying you don't have a phone with internets, just a PC?

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #34
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
So A.M, you're saying you don't have a phone with internets, just a PC?

Seriously..I'm still hanging in there with my studio pc..seems to be working OK for now..and I think it's more to do with how some of my NI stuff was installed. I've been having a few errors pop up with the NI stuff and have spent the last two days sorting that mess out and now all the NI software is running as it should..so maybe that was messing with something in the background.

As I said before, then told me it was because I had CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller on my system, and following further looking into this, they could well be right after all.

LSS, I basically went back and reinstalled some of the NI stuff and things seem OK now, so I'm holding off for a while with the total format to see if things really are back to normal. Even the task bar issue seems to be gone at the time of typing this..so fingers and everything else crossed.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Numerical (28-07-2016)
Old 28-07-2016, 02:17 AM   #35
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942931
Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,587 Posts

Good deal then. I've had issues with NI install before but it's been years. Kore Player was the plugin. I've got the Kontakt player thing now and havent had much of an issue yet.

Advertisements

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
A.M (28-07-2016)