Desktop or laptop? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279
Re: Desktop or laptop?

Neither, I record my music by swimming in copious amounts of money and clinging my collection of rare diamonds together rhythmically. All recorded through a platinum microphone wrapped in 500€ bills straight to vinyls pressed on high quality cheddar cheese. I then consume said music with a side of expensive wine.

Truth be told: The answer should be both, if you have the money to support that. I would like to have a laptop powerful enough to be portable, but currently I produce on a desktop due to price difference.

Advertisements

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #42
Poztman
Minor Glitch
Poztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the rough
Bruges
MC Status: 310

I just prefer laptop. If it's strong enough it will hold on I guess.
Though desktops are easier to upgrade/modulate.
If you have a laptop making lot's of noise (whether it's because dust or not) : Hello noise on recordings =D
Poztman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #43
Vescor
Granular Poster
Vescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of lightVescor is a glorious beacon of light
Earth
MC Status: 460

As long as it's got great specs laptops are where it's at

Like, if I'm producing regularly I've got it sat at the side of my desk connected to a a bigger moniter & all the midi/usb stuff. But if I want do make stuff while on the train or wherever, I can just unplug it and I've got pretty much my whole studio with me.

Works great, especially when you don't have a giant studio

- V

Last edited by Vescor; 29-11-2014 at 06:05 AM..
Vescor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #44
Marcus Quarter
Minor Glitch
Marcus Quarter will become famous soon enough
Vienna
MC Status: 60

both, 2 pcs, 1 laptop
Marcus Quarter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #45
philc
IDMf Supporter
philc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud ofphilc has much to be proud of
Montana
MC Status: 1310

Desktop.
philc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 AM   #46
jamison
Regular Freak
jamison will become famous soon enough
Austin, Texas

Laptop although mine's terribly out of date. Perhaps I'll look into getting a desktop once I'm out of college...
jamison is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #47
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329124900
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,163 Posts

Hmmm......lemme seee......ummmm well,i have a tower i built.
its a cosmos 2 tower with an msi 990FXA-gd65v2,w/16 gb 1866 mhz corsair platinum memory.
amd 8 core fx3+ zambizie cpu,liquid cooling,xfx black edition 2gb video card,some firewire,and other assorted voodoo.and it's all overclockable
this is my dedicated studio box.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #48
kresbeatz
Microknight
kresbeatz is a splendid one to beholdkresbeatz is a splendid one to beholdkresbeatz is a splendid one to beholdkresbeatz is a splendid one to beholdkresbeatz is a splendid one to beholdkresbeatz is a splendid one to beholdkresbeatz is a splendid one to behold
Budapest, Hungary
MC Status: 860

Desktop all the time. Laptop only for sketches

------------------

RME UFX, i7-5820K with 32GB RAM, UAD Satellite OCTO, Neve 1073LBx2 Focal SM9, AKG K712, KRK VXT6
Nord Lead 4, Analog Keys, Moog Sub 37, Boomstar 4075, DSI Prophet-6, OP-1
kresbeatz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #49
Reubino
Minor Glitch
Reubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to beholdReubino is a splendid one to behold
Melbourne
MC Status: 710

I much prefer using a laptop now than a desktop. It's small size and portability is probably the main reason why I use a lappy. Can quickly put it in my case, swing it over my shoulder and take it anywhere without fuss! Also the increasing cpu speed of laptops are steadily closing the gap between the power of the desktops.
Reubino is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #50
XY Knøt
Learning The Ropes
XY Knøt will become famous soon enough
Dallas, TX

I use a laptop and a monitor along with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It's like the best of both worlds
XY Knøt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #51
Vol2tex
Regular Freak
Vol2tex is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

make you own desktop!
Vol2tex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #52
Dawsi
Minor Glitch
Dawsi has a spectacular aura aboutDawsi has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 160

I would say a laptop because you can't take a desktop with your on a 12h flight/6h train ride and make a track :-)

Mac if possible
Dawsi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #53
Dephonix
Minor Glitch
Dephonix is a jewel in the roughDephonix is a jewel in the roughDephonix is a jewel in the rough
London
MC Status: 260

I try to avoid using laptops for anything as Im used to having a big desk & multiple screens, laptops I feel like Im looking at stuff through a keyhole.
Dephonix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #54
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760

https://store.nzxt.com/products/doko-by-nzxt
with that you could use a laptop and stream to a big screen so essentially you can do both
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #55
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19760

oh and ive personally never been a fan of multi monitors use to have two but dint like it just the gap issue so im using a 55 inch 4k smart tv instead at the moment.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #56
dollymehta
Regular Freak
dollymehta has a spectacular aura aboutdollymehta has a spectacular aura about

laptop.........easy to handle and use.
dollymehta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #57
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390629

hey sorry, i gotta quick question. i have laptops from 00-07 and wanted to know if they will become extinct or if i should keep them to repair when i have money again. idk much about value when it comes to computers. thank you

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #58
H2000SD
Minor Glitch
H2000SD has a spectacular aura aboutH2000SD has a spectacular aura about
London

I always us a PC. For some reason I'm not a fan of using laptops I guess its the small screen. Plus the PC always allows for cheaper upgrades. I'm not knocking the laptop as there some really good ones out there but three's just something about a PC.
H2000SD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #59
Libertine Lush
Regular Freak
Libertine Lush is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

A desktop for gaming--apparently still a nerd. Laptop for all else.
Libertine Lush is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #60
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

If you're a live performer there's no way around a laptop.
For dedicated home users I see no reason not to use a desktop: cheaper, modular, more powerfull.

I just built a dual-boot and I couldn't be more happy. 3 SSD's, 3 HDD's, 16 GB Ram and a very nice GPU in a Fractal R5 Case. If anyone's interested, it's the Dual-Boot DAW PC list: http://tweakers.net/gallery/318476#tab:inventaris

Advertisements

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote