Desktop or laptop? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #21
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943031
Thanked 5,697 Times in 3,588 Posts
Re: Desktop or Labtop..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abfahrt Yeah! View Post
At the moment, I'm sitting on my balcony making music in the sun. You COULD do this with a desktop if you can handle the cables
I'm laying down in a bed on my woman's laptop right now, I gotta say it's pretty cool, having never owned one myself. In fact I think her laptop is better than my fuckin desktop in terms of hardware. She's given me the OK to install some music prod. software on here too, I'm just not sure I can make up music in her bedroom. It's a new thing for me, I'm used to doing that type of thing in a closed environment by myself. It's cool she wants to know my process though.

Advertisements

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Kvlt O))) (17-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #22
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 153760
Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,847 Posts
Re: Desktop or laptop?

Fuck your girlfriend .
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Br/ainfu+ked (17-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

From what I had read, desktop computers seemed better.
I worked on desktops for several years.
Then, I tried a few laptop computers, and it was a nightmare within weeks and months with each laptop.
Things never progressed to fully utilizing each laptop computer as DAW because the technical issues kept it from ever being anything appealing.

Each laptop computer I completely stopped using. The desktop computers routinely seem to be a lot more reconfigurable, even when there are serious technical problems. Some of the older desktops are even more user-friendly than the new ones, but they are unfortunately just slower. The right hardware customizations by an adept group of technicians could probably turn an old desktop computer into something a lot better.

Something that I will never consider valid for stable music composition is any kind of smartphone, tablet, iPxd, portable media blackbox, etc.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #24
A.L.P.A
Granular Poster
A.L.P.A is a jewel in the roughA.L.P.A is a jewel in the roughA.L.P.A is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Producing with a laptop is pure BS.
A.L.P.A is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.P.A View Post
Producing with a laptop is pure BS.
With a decent laptop and an external audio interface its fine.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Numerical (09-10-2014)
Old 14-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #26
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1360

Desktop personally, easier to repair/upgrade. Specs are most important, no matter what you decide on. The better the CPU, RAM, and HDD, the smoother the production.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #27
The Snakes of Eden
The Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MC
MC Status: 173418

Used to be desktop only, but lately due to reeeeeeeeally needing to finish my album soon, ive started using my laptop since its got an SSD and i can take it to work and get a few bits and pieces done on my lunch break. I do prefer the multi-monitors and less noise with a desktop, but the transition has actually been pretty painless. My desk is no longer cable free though :/

------------------
The Snakes of Eden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #28
revilod
Learning The Ropes
revilod is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Laptops are basically just as powerful as desktops now and are so much more convenient, you don't have to be stuck in one room to use it.
revilod is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #29
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilod View Post
Laptops are basically just as powerful as desktops now and are so much more convenient, you don't have to be stuck in one room to use it.
True. BUt you pay a price for that. Plus I love having a room just for audio production. It's an example of where restriction is a good thing. But that's just me.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #30
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I have been rethinking about my previous opinion on this topic. I still have much the same beliefs as before, but considering the difficulty of maintaining any complex system, I've decided that some simplified systems might be more user friendly in modern times.

So this means that if a desktop system doesn't have too many complex parts it may be easier to maintain, but also if a laptop or any other digital music device doesn't have too many complex parts, than it also might be easier to maintain.

So, I guess that I feel not as judgemental about this as before.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #31
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Desktop or Labtop..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I'm laying down in a bed on my woman's laptop right now, I gotta say it's pretty cool, having never owned one myself. In fact I think her laptop is better than my fuckin desktop in terms of hardware. She's given me the OK to install some music prod. software on here too, I'm just not sure I can make up music in her bedroom. It's a new thing for me, I'm used to doing that type of thing in a closed environment by myself. It's cool she wants to know my process though.
Just had the pleasure of doing this recently. You get one good "Fuck, that's complex. You make all of those sounds yourself?" and quickly it turns into "That's way over my head"

Women. Am I right, guys? Haw haw haw
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #32
MapOfYourHead
Granular Poster
MapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1440

Laptop, because I move about a lot - and by move about a lot I mean I move from my bedroom to various other places in my house.

------------------
MapOfYourHead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #33
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

why not both? why be limited? powerless and weak?

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #34
chile
chile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MC
Hull
MC Status: 120124

I got through my last year of uni doing a music tech degree with only a core i5 6gb lenovo laptop.. CPU meter was running near max on some projects though. Since then I built a beefy spec PC (beefy in 2013 anyway.. core i7 3930k, 16gb gskillz ripjawz ram) and haven't been able to get it past the 20% mark yet. So, laptops are dope and have portability, but I'd rather go with the power of a desktop.. Im off to chile next january so am looking for a new laptop now though

Last edited by chile; 30-10-2014 at 11:28 PM..

------------------
chile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #35
justin ely
Analog Lurker
justin ely is just really nicejustin ely is just really nicejustin ely is just really nicejustin ely is just really nice
Michigan
MC Status: 360

I've only produced on a laptop. I like it for the portability. Producing during boring lecture classes is nice. I would imagine having the power of a nice desktop would be pretty neat too though
justin ely is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #36
DeJaY
Learning The Ropes
DeJaY is currently spamming hard
Redcar, United Kingdom

Both! Why have restrictions
DeJaY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #37
DeJaY
Learning The Ropes
DeJaY is currently spamming hard
Redcar, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilod View Post
Laptops are basically just as powerful as desktops now.
Not on your nelly i'm afraid.

A 2000 gaming laptop would come with a pokey 2.4Ghz i7 processor and 16gb memory. My 1000 desktop has an i7 4790k 4Ghz (overclocked at 4.8Ghz) processor and 32Gb memory. Not to mention the rest - do the maths.

Last edited by DeJaY; 31-10-2014 at 02:24 AM..
DeJaY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #38
chile
chile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MC
Hull
MC Status: 120124

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaY View Post
Not on your nelly i'm afraid.

A 2000 gaming laptop would come with a pokey 2.4Ghz i7 processor and 16gb memory. My 1000 desktop has an i7 4790k 4Ghz (overclocked at 4.8Ghz) processor and 32Gb memory. Not to mention the rest - do the maths.
On point.

------------------
chile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #39
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11710

I use a laptop for music but it is a dedicated laptop, there is virtually nothing else on it except music software and a couple of browsers.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #40
Minev
Minor Glitch
Minev will become famous soon enoughMinev will become famous soon enough
London
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaY View Post
Both! Why have restrictions
I use both. I must admit I find my desktop more comfortable but I also compose on the go sometimes (writing music whilst waiting at an airport is the best - no one to bother you and plenty of time).

I'm also hoping to start playing live shows/DJing and that would obviously be on my laptop. It's nice to have everything on one machine so I'm trying to phase out my desktop use.

Advertisements

Minev is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote