Facebook to take over all music everywhere?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts
Facebook to take over all music everywhere?

Well, mainstream music anyway.

Interesting article in El Reg:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...eave_facebook/

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Excerpt:

"Even if Facebook is only moderately successful in executing its plan, it will have more power than any record label has ever wielded. It will control the equivalent or radio and record stores, as well as the label. Or in movie analogies, be the monopoly cinema chain, the box office and the promotion."

Part of me is amused by this, part of me not. FB won't automatically have access to back catalogues of music but it may mean going forward they increase control over the output of current and future music. It all depends on the deals they can put in place.

Anyway, thought you peeps would be interested in this. It makes things like UMG controlling Soundcloud very tiny in the great scheme of things.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
A.M (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020926
Re: Facebook to take over all music everywhere?

I've always thought that the lack of a simple music platform on facebook suggested that they are working on something much more integrated because they see the power behind their platform if they do it correctly ..

it would be a refreshing change I guess because all facebook is now is automatically playing videos of memes and shit and now live videos everywhere of boring content (mostly)

people will probably hate it but you cannot stop technology
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538630
Thanked 6,954 Times in 4,948 Posts

So I scanned quick through the article--I'm not quite sure what this would even look like? As long as there are other options I can't see myself using facebook as a music streaming app. Or is this really just about licensing?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

As someone who hasn't logged into Facebook in years, it's troubling to think that I'd have to if I wanted to get into new music. But I'm also not into mainstream stuff and I'm well over the age demographic of the chart, so maybe none of this applies to me.

It is an interesting question. Content delivery is simple these days - streaming music is a done deal, it's the framework of licensing and vertical integration and capitalization that's the question. And there's things in play that don't mimic the moving pictures segment (where so much of the research and number crunching has been done), namely the fact that there's free places to easily listen to music (youtube), and there's a finite upper limit to storage and bandwidth, because audio has very definable limits to quality and thus won't have to deal with the expanding waistlines of ever more high def video.

It seems like there's three factors that would drive people to FB for music: they have content that isn't available elsewhere (see: Tidal), they have frameworks that make it attractive to people beyond the music - social groupings, discussions, etc, or they manage to hit that comfort level of "I'm on here anyway, why go elsewhere?"

All that assumes that FB can actually secure licensing and attract exclusive artists, as well as beat out youtube as the de facto place to quickly listen to a tune. They've certainly capitalized on their existing user base in the past so it'll be interesting to see if they can do it again. I have no doubt they can tank Spotify if they want, but they're going to have throw shitloads of cash at the problem of exclusivity and have the UGC fight with Youtube/Alphabet that they probably won't win, and then hope that Amazon or Walmart doesn't decide to drown them in money because they decide they want to be top music dog.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

For me to want to use it it would have to be usable in some sense. Not go find an artist I already known or that has some mega marketing campaign but to actually enjoy some newer independant artist or label.

I'm not entirely familiar with bandcamp but I can only imagine there being a crap ton of pages and releases from people or labels I don't have much ability in finding.

I actually just see it as some "Suggested Music" BS multiplied, if pushed after. Similar to how my Spotify station turns a 180 and throws in something that isn't even related to what I was listening to, to begin with.

Luckily for us that don't FB much, there are still plenty of other options.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #6
manman
Minor Glitch
manman is a glorious beacon of lightmanman is a glorious beacon of lightmanman is a glorious beacon of lightmanman is a glorious beacon of lightmanman is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

I thought there's no music on fb.
manman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 AM   #7
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11710

This has been the dream of many a company since the early days of the internet. Web portals was the term used back then and it saw the likes of Yahoo and AOL and MSN try and eventually fail to herd net citizens to their gated online communities. Facebook however has much more clout and an established (and seemingly captive) audience already there. Still there are some disadvantages fb has with this venture, for one the most successful online ventures (Google search, Youtube, and Facebook) all succeeded by offering relatively new services online or they did it simpler and better than others. To succeed here fb will need to be easier to use than Spotify, faster and with a larger database of music, that is no easy task.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 153660
Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,846 Posts

Facebook will take over:

the music bis
Amazon
Apple
Microsoft
Samsung
universities
the oil industry
the weapons business
the agricultural industry
grocery stores
hospitals
big pharma
Disney
Sony
AirB&B
Tinder
Tesla
Nasa
Spacex
Every government on the planet

& your ass because you handed it over to them like a fucking sucker.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
A.M (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
& your ass because you handed it over to them like a fucking sucker.
This is the important bit.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
badmotor (09-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Stercogburn View Post
This is the important bit.
thom got that a little wrong, though..didn't he? I mean, shouldn't that be "mouth" instead of "ass"? Just wondering like.it's good to know who will own which part of you in advance, don't you think?

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote