MS Surface Laptop: Got Gaming lappy Instead - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 20-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #21
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts
Re: Microsoft Surface Laptop

Only had the MSI lappy a few days now and planning the upgrade path. Not as bad as it first sounds, I'm generally quite happy with the lappy.

Performance overall is pretty good, it handles DAW + VSTs nicely though I've not loaded up any of my larger projects yet. Screen colours are very rich and pretty. Keyboard LED colours are wonderfully garish and reasonably programmable but only in groups. The buttons on the keyboard feel excellent when typing. I feel such a derp-nerd writing that but I was surprised by the excellent keyboard quality.

The system drive, being an M.2, has much vroom vroom but I expected that since I built my main system last year with an M.2 and am used to that level of performance.

Games run reasonably well. I'm probably a bit snobby towards it because I can't help but compare it to the monster I built last year so take with a pinch of salt when reading my negative comments.

My only real crit is the 2TB HDD. It seems to be pretty slow and has noticable clicking when accessing. At some point I'll replace it with a 2TB SSD when the prices seem more reasonable. At that point I'll remove the DVD drive, get an HDD caddy and put the old HDD into the slot where the DVD currently is, giving me 4TB of storage locally with 2TB of that fast access. I think the DVD drive only connects via SATA 2 but the HDD is slow enough that I don't think that will be much of an issue. I don't use DVD really anyway, I tend to use blu-ray for local data backups and any movies I buy are always in blu-ray format these days. At time of purchase, I just didn't give a shit about the optical drive really and I suspect that these days most others don't either.

I've also tested out storing Sonar projects directly in the Dropbox folder so it automatically syncs, then I can continue to work on the project on my main PC. Loading up the project on the main PC after Dropbox syncs I've only discovered one issue: Native Instruments libraries path files are different on the two machines. Because the paths don't match, loading up the project on the main PC caused a DAW derp moment and I had to point the project at the local copy of my Battery library files. I've not discovered any other issues so far. I won't be plugging my hardware synths into the laptop so templates need to be slightly different too but this is a minor thing to be aware of rather than is an actual problem.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
A.M (20-06-2017)
Old 20-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060
Re: MS Surface Laptop: Got Gaming lappy Instead

I got one of the MSIs a few months back. It's significantly faster than my desktop because of how much newer it is. Gaming and music production both work well on it, no complaints except for how much bloatware it comes with. Still deciding I don't need things like control of the keyboard lighting several months later and uninstalling something every now and then. If you're confident you can get the drivers (especially for the fn hotkeys, I can't live without those), I'd seriously consider a clean os install.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #23
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts
Re: MS Surface Laptop: Got Gaming lappy Instead

Its not bloatware, its *cough* 'Adding Value'

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote